• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Adult apprenticeship advice in Scotland in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Reaction score
Hello all,

I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

After leaving school, I followed the typical university route. But, unfortunately, I have found myself at 27 years old, realizing that I would be far more satisfied in my work if I were in the electrical trade.

I have been researching the process of becoming an electrician specifically in Scotland, which I realize is different from the standard England/Wale/Northern Ireland approach. I have found the online information to be incredibly convoluted. I have come to the understanding that I would need to complete a two-year adult apprenticeship to become qualified.

I have been interested in becoming an electrician for years, and I know it is something I would love to throw myself into. However, I have been desperately trying to find an employer willing to take me on, but I am struggling to find someone willing to accept an adult due to the pay differences.

If anyone could offer advice on how to become more appealing to employers or other avenues I could take a look I would seriously appreciate it.

Thanks, Jock

Hello, fellow Scot

I was the other way around. Took the traditional 4 year apprenticeship at 16 with a local firm and went to university later in life. (Not that late, I was 24)
No job, so went back to being a spark as a had a mortgage and kid at the time.
Now I’m self employed at the ripe old age of 48

Have you contacted SJIB in Edinburgh about adult training?
If no local companies want to employ you, and I see your point about having to pay you more than a school leaver… you may have to relocate, or self fund.

Hello!

How interesting! I am glad it has worked out for you. Being self-employed is definitely something I would also like to work toward in the future.

I have contacted SECTT to get their local recruiter's details. Yes, I would definitely be willing to relocate, but I am still having trouble finding opportunities.

I don't really know about opportunities to self-fund in Scotland. The English method means you can pay to complete almost the entire theoretical potion of the job privately and then document your experience after to qualify. I think we have a more difficult approach which is a shame.

We are NOT looking to take an apprentice on, however we can give you limited work experience (depending on where you live)

There are other options- the younger apprentice route is open to any age.
You could work for a SJIB 1st year apprentice rate and progress that way, there is someone aged 50 doing this in Ayrshire

Not great for the money but good for experience, many sensible employers would jump at a mature person in this role.

Reply to Adult apprenticeship advice in Scotland in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net