Discuss Advice for a new electrician... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James4918

My first post on the forum so hi all.

Here is my situation. I am 28 years old have spent the last 3 years travelling in Australia and NZ. I have been working as a labourer and but completely unskilled work other than basic tools. Before this I was a waiter. Therefore I have no experience at all in electricals. However, I have been looking into becoming an electrician when I'm home in January. I have read a few bits online and specifically on this site that have been useful. From what I can see, my two main options are a 4 year course at my local college which is £500 roughly or a 7 month 2365 course through Tradeskills4u which is £7450. Obviously, considering my age, the 7 month course would seem the better option and seems to get good reviews on here. However, having spoken to a mate of a mate who is an electrician he recommends I do the full 4 years to get the proper, much needed experience.

I do think this is good advice but obviously it's not ideal considering I'll be 32 by the time I'm qualified and will have to survive on £3.30/hour for the first year.

I am just after any more advice from anyone who may have been in this situation or know an alternative.

Many thanks,
James.

Check out JIB rates for adult apprentices, if you can't get an apprenticeship then you should get whatever the going rate is for a labourer in your area while you are training (you'll probably have to pay for the courses yourself and do them in the evening or one day per week if you aren't an apprentice). Your pay rate will obviously improve as you become more skilled as long as you have reasonable negotiating skills or are prepared to move from one contractor to another.
http://www.unitetheunion.org/uploaded/documents/JIB_Ind_Det_2015_2016_v211-21163.pdf

My first post on the forum so hi all.

Here is my situation. I am 28 years old have spent the last 3 years travelling in Australia and NZ. I have been working as a labourer and but completely unskilled work other than basic tools. Before this I was a waiter. Therefore I have no experience at all in electricals. However, I have been looking into becoming an electrician when I'm home in January. I have read a few bits online and specifically on this site that have been useful. From what I can see, my two main options are a 4 year course at my local college which is £500 roughly or a 7 month 2365 course through Tradeskills4u which is £7450. Obviously, considering my age, the 7 month course would seem the better option and seems to get good reviews on here. However, having spoken to a mate of a mate who is an electrician he recommends I do the full 4 years to get the proper, much needed experience.

I do think this is good advice but obviously it's not ideal considering I'll be 32 by the time I'm qualified and will have to survive on £3.30/hour for the first year.

I am just after any more advice from anyone who may have been in this situation or know an alternative.

Many thanks,
James.
Have you got a link to these reviews on here fella?

^^^ That is quite difficult to get my head round, tech college's will not take adult students on the courses. I would have thought they would be biting their hands off paying full tuition fees, part time or full time, it's still bums on seats.?

Have you got a link to these reviews on here fella?

Theres some on here mate.... http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-courses-feedback/499-tradeskills4u-feedback.html

I have taught all three routes and keep in touch with lots of students who have either been through an Apprenticeship, studied at college for 3 years whilst either holding part time job in the industry and outside and also Electrical Improvers who have done the level 2 & 3 2365 Diploma intensively. I would definitely say that my recent adult trainees who did not do an Apprenticeship are just as good as any Apprentice I ever taught.

I always recommend the apprenticeship route first, but most people who come to me for training now are over the funding age of 24 and have commitments which almost prevent them being paid apprentice wages and the advice I give them is to go through the Electrical Improver route. You can do this at some colleges 1 day week, but I am finding (and have experience) that a lot of colleges are catering less and less for adults and will not always offer the level 3 Diploma or even the level 3 NVQ if you are not an Apprentice.

So the next best thing is to go through a private training provider and ensure you only enroll on the level 2 & 3 Diploma 2365 and then eventually the level 3 NVQ 2357-44 (Portfolio and AM2 aessement only). Its not all doom and gloom if you pick a good one with good reviews then you are likely to be in a class with like minded adults of smaller numbers.

Let me know if you need anymore advice and good luck.
Thanks for the reply mate.

My issue is obviously I am keen to be earning proper money asap. However, i want this to be my career so i want to do it properly and be the best i can be.

Would I be in a better position and my knowledge level be higher after doing the 4 year course or doing a 7 month crash course and working along someone I know for the first few years? This lad I spoke to has said he can take me on no issues.

Thanks.

Reply to Advice for a new electrician... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net