Discuss Annoyed with new 2357 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baker1988

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi every one i thought i would start this post as i have got rather annoyed with the new c&g 2357 course that is suppose to be replaceing the 2330 and nvq 3. I have been on this new 2357 at my local college for about 7 months now and we have just found out that the course is not doing as well as the college was hoping as a lot of people have dropped out of the course and come september they are not proceding with the course which was suppose to be 3 years long and now i have to go on the old 2330 course. The thing that is annoying me the most is that i tryed to sign up on the 2330 in september 2010 and i was told that it was being replaced in 2011 by the 2357 and that i should come back in september 2011 and sign up for the new course the 2357 so i have missed a year of training to get on this 2357 only to be told that now i have to sign up for the 2330 come september this has really annoyed me as i could be alot closer to becoming an electrician then i currently am. Sorry if i went on a bit just had to vent.

Hi, if is was you I would talk to C&G and try to find out whats going on,Do you get your college fee's back?
good luck to you,keep looking foreward

I wouldn't have thought your 7 months (so far) would have been a complete waste because most of if not everything you have learned so far will be relevant.
It might be worth trying to strike a deal with your college where they let you sit the year 1 2330 exams instead of the 2357 at no extra cost, in return for not kicking off about being sold part of a course which they're not even going to finish any more.

Hi thanks for the replys. I have been talking to the head of the electrical department at my college he said that although they are cancelling the course this first year will count towards my 2330 course so i will start the 2330 on my second year and not have to start all over again which im pretty happy about now as it was the 2330 i wanted to go on but apparently by the time i get to te nvq 3 it will no longer exist and be replaced by the nvq 3 2357 ( dont know what the difference is) at least the 2330 is cheaper then the 2357 so thats one good thing and i am gonna keep rolling with it i want to be an electrician so i will do what ever it takes thanks for listening

Hi

I just read your post and it seems strange to me that this happened, in accordance to my experience. Last year I did my Level 2330 at one of the private companies that does it in 6 weeks. I passed, but for my Level 3 I wanted to attend college and do a full year of study with practicals to go with it. I didnt feel confident doing something in 6 weeks, and the company said I would be able to do my Level 3 in 4 weeks !

I joined Lancaster and Morecambe college to do the Level 3 2357. The 2357 course is designed to last 3 years to cover what 2330 Levels 1, 2, and 3 would have done. Because I had already done my Level 2 2330, my group was jumped straight to the last years' study of 2357. Personally I am convinced that we have missed some important learning here, because everything we did in Level 2 is the same as what we are doing now on 2357, except as small amount on environmental technologies.

If you have done 1 year of 2357 out of 3, then it should be viewed as the equivalent as doing 1 year at 2330, so your exams should be transferrable to 2330 or 2357 or vice versa. You haven't lost any time in your studies and you should press for this. I must admit dealing with City and Guilds can be a bit of a fight at times, and often depending on your college tutors, colleges can be a bit lazy when it comes to fighting your corner. If I were you I would tell college in no uncertain terms what you expect should happen.

Good luck.

Hi every one just thought i would give a update.
This is what has happened since my last post we got transfered from the 2357 to the 2330 we got all the books all the 2330 induction stuff the lot and was told that we had to june to do all the work that you would do on the 2330 first year so we really got stuck in learnt loads of stuff even sat the 201 exam and passed with flying colours i was really enjoying the 2330 loads more then the 2357.
Now we have just been told that we are now getting put back on to the 2357 as the college would be looseing about 35 thousand pounds a year for every student due to funding now this is what is really annoying me i was really liking the 2330 and now were gettin put back into the 2357 and have been told we are now 4 weeks behind on the 2357 and have to work really hard to catch up in time for our tests i really think this is wrong what do you all think?

I would be contacting C&G and the colleges sponsers providers etc

this is ridiculous mate i thought i had been messed about by C&G saying they were ending then extending 2330 last yr

i turned up to start a lv3 2330 only to find out all the fast tracked students had gone back to lv2 so sat in with them doing sample lv 2 papers last year for nowt really
and then had to wait until sept 2011 to start lv3 proper
They should make there minds up and shouldnt have brought the 2357 out until it was prepared properly and all there providers could deliver it correctly

plus its mainly aimed at 16-18 yr olds who employed as apprentices so older or people wishing to re train wont be able to unless they can get a employer first Its a scam all these courses and the fees are ridicuous

mate for all the study and effort they should let you sit both set of exams to put all your study to use or give you some kind of compensation good luck mate for your persistance in sticking it out eventually you will get there

Last edited:
you will have to be very careful if you are still taking the 2330 this year, i have been told that anyone with the 2330 qualifications have until 31st july 2012 to register for the nvq level 3 qualification after this date it will be ceasing to exist, anybody who has the 2330 without the nvq level 3 after this date and wants to do the nvq level 3 will have to restart and join the new 2357 and basically go back to college again for another 3 years (the 2357 consists of the 2330 and the nvq level 3), the 2330 was seperate to the nvq level 3 hence this is why the level 3 nvq will not be available after july 31st due to the new 2357, if anybody can verify what i have said as fact it would be appreciated as if it is i myself also will have to make sure i am taking the nvq level 3 too before the 31st july deadline as i hold my 2330 level 2 and level 3 and i certainly dont want to go back to college again for another 3 years at the age of 44.

yeah mate get signed up now for the NVQ to save a whole lot of hassle later

My experience of C&G and there quals hasnt been a easy one or enjoyable experience and nobody seems to know whats happening etc

I have been told that not only is the 2330 and 2356 nvq lv3 ending and replaced by the 2357
Now i have been told that there is another newer technical qual which will replace the 2357 and its going back to similar style of 2330
but were now on 2330 for each outcome your doing H&S and scientific principles
it will be seperated so you will do a outcome on H&S then the science side of things seperate

I dont know the number for this even newer qual but when i asked my tutor he said he had heard and explained the differences

My experience of college isnt a good one

Nowhere like or as good as the old apprentice type course i did in the 80s
where i studied a fair few diferent subjects physics , related electrical science , mathematics, related electrical studies and others 6 week block release to coleg and 4 weeks at work
we did theory in the mornings and practical in the afternoons were now at coleg your lucky to get any practical and they dont cover evrything for the theory if i hadnt done a very lot of home study believe i would ahve struggled
were now its jsut 6hrs a week and half this taken up with register and messing about with now much tutoring going on
basicaly you have to teach yourself at home
and compared to some of the private courses i have done very slow and mundane and i feel i learned more in less time doing 2391 and other private short courses i have done
nowhere near enough is being taught as the old style courses and the fast track courses are a little to quick so dont go into enough detail of certain things
the whole set up is a complete mess

should jsut be one set of quals for all regardless of age etc

Last edited:

Reply to Annoyed with new 2357 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net