Discuss Another question about cables (6.0mm & 2.5) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't get me wrong, I've got so used to my own company that I rarely ever fall out with myself these days.
Though (because of the lockdown) I've changed paths completely and am now bringing a redundant farm back to life. Lots of trial and error things going on at the moment but last week I have been playing with dung heaps seeing what elements produce the most heat, I have heaps everywhere made up of various animal sh*t and vegetation. As well as growing literally tonnes of veg, gathering livestock and setting Crayfish traps!
My aim is to end up with a compost heater for greenhouses through the winter, add a heat exchanger and some other gadgets and the power produced could be quite interesting, though I could find myself concreted into a motorway bridge if I become to successful :tearsofjoy:

In all honesty I doubt if there is a woman on the planet for me, I hate TV, I hate money and I hate routine. Plus I've been homeless for 20 years now so that's not exactly a dating quality Lol.

I grew up in a rich family, but I spent my life rebelling against it all. I mean I figured out at a very early age everything is all wrong. You're taught to walk and talk, once you've mastered that you're told to sit down and shut up, then rewarded at school for doing good, punished for asking questions and challenging anything. Leave school and same thing applies at work. Then one day you notice your boss with a brand new, top of the range BMW and you say 'nice car', and he replies, 'if you work twice as hard as you have this year and put in a bit more time and effort next year, then I will be able to buy a top of the range Mercedes'

Anyway if this thread has taught me anything, it has taught me about lolipop circuits, and the funny thing is when I went off to Google them, I did a full circle and ended up reading about them back here from a post in 2015. :tearsofjoy:

Around 25 years ago I went to Spain with my girlfriend and stayed in an apartment, as she was unpacking the suitcase I decided to take the consumer unit face plate off and have a look. I was surprised to find what looked like 6.0mm cooker cable forming a ring, when I removed the faceplate from a socket behind the bed it was one cable which looked like 2.5mm. An access panel to the side of the bed revealed the 6.0mm cable with a spur off to the socket. I never got any further than this as my girlfriend was by then throwing a complete tantrum that we was supposed to be on holiday and this would probably explain why I am still single to this very day. :tearsofjoy:

So I was wondering why in the UK we run ring mains? I mean even if we run a ring (2x2.5mm) and then spurred off to each socket this would save a considerable amount of cable and running 2 cables in the wall, though this might not be viable in kitchens. Again I'm just wondering why and have only once come across an old 6.0mm cooker cable in a kitchen that was redundant and used as a kitchen ring in the UK, a ring main (2 x 2.5mm cables) had been attached to it (and no, I didn't do it, it was existing)

Thanks in advance!
"have only once come across an old 6.0mm cooker cable in a kitchen that was redundant and used as a kitchen ring in the UK, a ring main (2 x 2.5mm cables) had been attached to it (and no, I didn't do it, it was existing)"

Yes the lolipop circuit a.k.a the lassoo circuit. Not uncommon and if done right then it is ok. Just not a standard circuit as listed in the Big Bumper Book of Fun (BS 7671) or the OSG, but not wrong.

Reply to Another question about cables (6.0mm & 2.5) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net