Discuss Another question about cables (6.0mm & 2.5) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OnlQQker

Esteemed
Reaction score
Around 25 years ago I went to Spain with my girlfriend and stayed in an apartment, as she was unpacking the suitcase I decided to take the consumer unit face plate off and have a look. I was surprised to find what looked like 6.0mm cooker cable forming a ring, when I removed the faceplate from a socket behind the bed it was one cable which looked like 2.5mm. An access panel to the side of the bed revealed the 6.0mm cable with a spur off to the socket. I never got any further than this as my girlfriend was by then throwing a complete tantrum that we was supposed to be on holiday and this would probably explain why I am still single to this very day. :tearsofjoy:

So I was wondering why in the UK we run ring mains? I mean even if we run a ring (2x2.5mm) and then spurred off to each socket this would save a considerable amount of cable and running 2 cables in the wall, though this might not be viable in kitchens. Again I'm just wondering why and have only once come across an old 6.0mm cooker cable in a kitchen that was redundant and used as a kitchen ring in the UK, a ring main (2 x 2.5mm cables) had been attached to it (and no, I didn't do it, it was existing)

Thanks in advance!

Around 25 years ago I went to Spain with my girlfriend and stayed in an apartment, as she was unpacking the suitcase I decided to take the consumer unit face plate off and have a look. I was surprised to find what looked like 6.0mm cooker cable forming a ring, when I removed the faceplate from a socket behind the bed it was one cable which looked like 2.5mm. An access panel to the side of the bed revealed the 6.0mm cable with a spur off to the socket. I never got any further than this as my girlfriend was by then throwing a complete tantrum that we was supposed to be on holiday and this would probably explain why I am still single to this very day. :tearsofjoy:

So I was wondering why in the UK we run ring mains? I mean even if we run a ring (2x2.5mm) and then spurred off to each socket this would save a considerable amount of cable and running 2 cables in the wall, though this might not be viable in kitchens. Again I'm just wondering why and have only once come across an old 6.0mm cooker cable in a kitchen that was redundant and used as a kitchen ring in the UK, a ring main (2 x 2.5mm cables) had been attached to it (and no, I didn't do it, it was existing)

Thanks in advance!
Some holiday then? you sound like a friend of mine completely obsessed with electrics, how did you manage to get the tools through customs??

25 years ago a screwdriver and pliers were the first thing I packed in a suitcase, mainly cuz I didn't trust the safes so would dismantle things to hide cash in :tearsofjoy:

Like I said that's why I'm single now... Maybe the admin could attach a dating section somewhere here Lol

Thanks for the answers by the way, just looking at lollipop circuits as never heard of that one before!

Also look up lollipop circuits !
A quick and dirty solution that has the worst of both worlds! LOL!

Seriously, unless the radial-to-ring joint is accessible and documented then you have a testing nightmare...
[automerge]1587760656[/automerge]
Just to emphasise it is not the concept of the lollipop circuit I dislike, as that is not really any different from having a sub-main to an out building's CU and then a ring for the sockets there.

No, it is the very high probability of being undocumented and hidden after it was done.

Last edited:
Just to emphasise it is not the concept of the lollipop circuit I dislike, as that is not really any different from having a sub-main to an out building's CU and then a ring for the sockets there.

No, it is the very high probability of being undocumented and hidden after it was done.

The only time I think it is useful is when you need to install an isolator for all sockets in a room, such as a classroom or studio.
You can take a 4 or 6 to the isolator and then a ring from the load side.

It's also fairly commonly used in a kitchen where a redundant cooker point supply is used to supply an additional ring circuit. Seen that several times, but in preference with that scenario I'd prefer to extend in 4.0mm and create a 32a radial.

Some holiday then? you sound like a friend of mine completely obsessed with electrics, how did you manage to get the tools through customs??
Can imagine you and you're GF relaxing on the beach, Her reading the latest fashion Mag and you with a pile of PE mags, rapture

Once brought the OSG to read on a holiday.... Not sure if that is sad or not.
Not as sad as this Guy checking the electrics when he is the bedroom with his GF, but still SAD Spoon, shame on you, lol:D

I feel the need to clear a couple of things up here... :tearsofjoy:

She was unpacking the suitcase, anybody that has been on holiday with a female will understand this one. Personally I wouldn't bother and just grab what I needed from the case (or tip the lot in the corner) but no, everything had to be either hung on rails, folded and put in a drawer, or examined again for marks and creases that might of happened during transit.
I would always carry at least 1k of Euros in cash, but didn't trust the safes in the room and felt uncomfortable carrying it around. So I would look for storage spaces. ie, Ceiling voids, floor panels, shower access etc etc.

Anyway, that's why I had the front of the consumer unit off at that one time and curiosity set in causing me to start removing the other socket and access panel. Ok my girlfriend might not of spoke to me for the rest of the day but 25 years later I've now learnt what a 'lolipop' circuit is so all has turned out well in the end.

Well nearly ok, women seem to give me a wide berth for some reason.. I went on a date last Summer and was looking around an old historical building, I noticed led bulbs in old style light fittings and happened to mention this to her every room we walked in to. Never saw her again :tearsofjoy:

I think I need to date a lady spark if I can find one!

only lady spark i ever met in person was a real Hitler in Knickers. 5 blokes left site due to her unreasoning demands. She expected everything on a plate and would have gone the sexual harrassment route if nobody obliged.

only lady spark i ever met in person was a real Hitler in Knickers. 5 blokes left site due to her unreasoning demands. She expected everything on a plate and would have gone the sexual harrassment route if nobody obliged.
Good job then Tel?

Reply to Another question about cables (6.0mm & 2.5) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net