Discuss Applying a water repellent coating to your panels ??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danesol

Not really applicable to me yet, but subsequent to another thread where we were discussing the varied surfaces of panels, I was thinking I use Rain-X ( or AQUAPEL ) on my car windscreens to help dramatically with water dispersal, which btw is very effective and you hardly have to use your windscreen wipes over 40mph.

Would it be possible to use this water repellent fluid on solar panels and so gain the benefit of its properties ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that it would blow your warranty well out of the water , so to speak !
I am sure that shampoo is a no no in the maintenance literature that i have read on some makes ?
When i did my course in the earlier days of the solar rush it was said that you are never to touch the glass as it will put microscopic scratches on it that will then attract dirt and possible corrosion issues .

Last edited:
I would say that it would blow your warranty well out of the water , so to speak !
I am sure that shampoo is a no no in the maintenance literature that i have read on some makes ?
When i did my course in the earlier days of the solar rush it was said that you are never to touch the glass as it will put microscopic scratches on it that will then attract dirt and possible corrosion issues .

So we need to think cleaning without touching then...... Snow foam - lol

I generally advise just hosing off the dust after a dry spell. I can't see any major dramas but you don't want to have a build up of stuff coating the panels over time (car windscreen less prone to this as it is constantly being abraded by wind, wipers, car washes etc) and you would need to be certain there was no reaction with the panels. some cleaning products (even those supposedly suitable for coatings) can cause the coating to peel off.
If your panels are a good quality brand I would generally advise against it as any potential benefit is outweighed by the potential for damage to the panels by the substance and to yourself trying to apply it!

Don't know ?
Will be interesting what others think to this , i have already started another thread on these lines .
Warm water from a low pressure hose ?
I believe schleter have a type of revolving brush on a track system that they are developing .

There are now companies who was solar panels, often window cleaners. I have two questions
1. what do these companies use?
2. should solar panels be washed i've been told they are self cleaning.

Another thought, has anyone looked on the CAT website re this topic?

cheers

CAT - "Centre for Alternative Technology" based in Wales, they were all regarded as hippie dropouts in the 60's but now they are advisors to the government on ALL issues green. They even run building courses, and teach zero carbon building techniques. They wrote the book!
And you can bet your boots if they are cleaning their solar panels, it's with something which is bio-degradable.

CAT - "Centre for Alternative Technology" based in Wales, they were all regarded as hippie dropouts in the 60's but now they are advisors to the government on ALL issues green. They even run building courses, and teach zero carbon building techniques. They wrote the book!
And you can bet your boots if they are cleaning their solar panels, it's with something which is bio-degradable.

Of course !
Sorry could not see the trees for the wood !

Once washed, or when installed - Could you use silicon spray? Electricians usually have a tin handy.
I know it would wear off, but it should stop things from sticking.

I always advice against any form of contact With the panels at all times and will stick to it. The panels shouldn't need cleaning we have a substance called rain to do that for us. As panels have self cleaning coating that works I advice against anything. If you damage that coating you now need to clean them and frequently. At most and only in rear circumstances then fresh clean water from a garden hose but even then only as a must. As for companies springing up to offer cleaning I advice ALL my customers against this and if they feel the panels need a clean to call us for advice or a visit to asses the situation.

I have always said the same as you Mark , until last week when i carried out a off the cuff inspection on a 10kw barn mount we installed the back end of last March .
Admittedly it is only on a 15 degree pitch but is on a due south roof overlooking directly on to long established pastureland , I was shocked to see a 10-15 mm build up of green mildew ( like you find on cars that are not in regular use ) encroaching across the whole of the bottom of every module .
The array is only 10 months old and in my opinion is not looking how i would expect it to!

I have always said the same as you Mark , until last week when i carried out a off the cuff inspection on a 10kw barn mount we installed the back end of last March .
Admittedly it is only on a 15 degree pitch but is on a due south roof overlooking directly on to long established pastureland , I was shocked to see a 10-15 mm build up of green mildew ( like you find on cars that are not in regular use ) encroaching across the whole of the bottom of every module .
The array is only 10 months old and in my opinion is not looking how i would expect it to!

There will always be the exception to the rule. 15 degree should clear it but it obviously isn't. Looks like either they will need routine cleaning or there is a problem with the self clean coating?

We only did a few sharp installs before i saw the light as they say , and the only 3 that i have seen problems with so far have been all sharp to be honest so i really do hope it is the exception !?

Reply to Applying a water repellent coating to your panels ??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net