Search the forum,

Discuss apprentice/ recently qualified roll call in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bugsy

Just really curious , how many apprentices are there ( and recently qualified ) who are not / have not actually worked on the tools for a company?

Lots! when I went back to collage to do my update to the 17th, my old lecturer said most of the lads on the course now aren't even employed in the industry.

when i left college lasy year most had been made redundant or couldnt get a placement out of 12 there was 3 or 4 of us and as far as i know that hasnt changed from what iv heard

took me nearly 2 years to find a placement aswel

Its like sometimes on the forum you get questions by people, that are the kind of thing that a supervisor or boss would be able to answer in seconds then they say they are going to collage or qualified. It puts them at a total disadvantage and means they have to find out by trial and error which is no good for them and no good for the customer.

Yes, don't get me wrong I'm not on witch hunt but some questions asked by : qualified' sparks are a bit worrying,

Years ago the government had a YTS scheme which helped appretices find job's because maggie paid half their wages, It just seems a shame that some guy's work their nuts off at college get their paper work and can't get a job and when they do their treated like dog's bodies because they have no experiance , - Bit like some consulting engineers - but thats another story

i am a 3 rd year apprentice and i have oticed that aswell . i have been doing electrics for 4 years now. but some of these questons if you think about them you know the answer. its a bit worrying. i am always learning like.but lucky enough i work with good lads and i get taught well. but i do find that in college they do miss stuff out and i hav had to read up on quite of things

I know it's not a witch hunt at all don't want people getting the wrong end of the stick. When I started at collage you had to show proof that you where employed with a company to get on the course. I was lucky I made the decision to go into a trade straight from school so I was the right age to get all the government funding 2-3 years later and it would have been a nightmare. I would still rather take on a older guy as an apprentice even if it cost me more though preferably ex forces.

I know it's not a witch hunt at all don't want people getting the wrong end of the stick. When I started at collage you had to show proof that you where employed with a company to get on the course. I was lucky I made the decision to go into a trade straight from school so I was the right age to get all the government funding 2-3 years later and it would have been a nightmare. I would still rather take on a older guy as an apprentice even if it cost me more though preferably ex forces.
Hi There
the problem lays solely with the way this country has been run for 20/30 years ,with no apprentionships and big companies go for cheaper labour,and the open up this country to ever tom,dick & harry that wants to come here. I left school 25 years ago and there was nothing for us out there then and it seems nothings changed,( i was the lucky one i found a job), with all the big industries closing eg: steelworks ,coal mines ,the men who worked in those industries had to change there careers and these courses offering 5 day apprentionships are a nother problem,But it's not the fault of the working man ,It's the goverment
Thanks

im currently going to college having been laid off from my company i have to fund myslef...i have had work offered to me through an agency but they wont allow me the day off for college...so i have to choose college or money, qualified or tea bitch...i choose the college but im fast losing my rag i work night on security at the weekend just to put bread on the table...i search the job web sites everyday but got nothin...its crap!!!!goverment needs to sort this out...

If the government were to offer a scheme where by you worked say 4 days and had day release what kind of money would expect to receive

They did run the advanced modern apprenticeship which paid your tuition fees so the employer only paid the wages, you had to be under 19 I think., but guess what the government, have pulled the funding for this:(

Last edited by a moderator:
im currently going to college having been laid off from my company i have to fund myslef...i have had work offered to me through an agency but they wont allow me the day off for college...so i have to choose college or money, qualified or tea bitch...i choose the college but im fast losing my rag i work night on security at the weekend just to put bread on the table...i search the job web sites everyday but got nothin...its crap!!!!goverment needs to sort this out...
you your right about the goverment, it's hard retraining ,hope you find something soon,

If the government were to offer a scheme where by you worked say 4 days and had day release what kind of money would expect to receive
well the minium wage is £5.80 a hour x by 8 hours work x 5 = top line £232, but the dole is i think about £60 a week ,so say £200 a week ,but the problem then is age and your personal circumstances , but i was on yts £25 a week in 1985 and would ihave loved to train to have a skill for a good future.

They did run the advanced modern apprenticeship which paid your tuition fees so the employer only paid the wages, you had to be under 19 I think., but guess what the government, have pulled the funding for this:(
ye thay did ,so no one can blame any person that wants to get on if they have to fund there own careers and have to work and study and learn,but if this goverment carried on the old apprenticships then all trades would have beifited,plus a new career skills if you wanted to change your career your lost your job due to no fault of there own
thanks lee

Last edited by a moderator:
So are we saying the op gets £ 200.00 and free training, the reason im asking is that im trying to work out the differance between whats its costing the gov. now in benefits, tax credits etc and at the end of your training you have no job compared with full government backing on the job training etc , If the gov paid £100.00 and the employer paid £ 100.00 and restricted this to UK citizens im sure they'd be a few heading back to the ferry

So are we saying the op gets £ 200.00 and free training, the reason im asking is that im trying to work out the differance between whats its costing the gov. now in benefits, tax credits etc and at the end of your training you have no job compared with full government backing on the job training etc , If the gov paid £100.00 and the employer paid £ 100.00 and restricted this to UK citizens im sure they'd be a few heading back to the ferry
Well ye so say the dole pays £60 and the thay pay your rent i think it's £70 and council tax in my area in band d is £90 so there about £220 a week for keeping someone on the dole and there are more benifits a imagine ,to me would be worth training a young person or retraining someone and then we would have are own skilled labour to keep out ,unskilled foriegn workers ripping of this country,But you have to start somewhere and this country has not helped the young people for 20/30 years
Thanks lee

when i went to college it was night college there were 2 in leeds that offer the same course. was told by one that i was too old to do it ? 28... wrote off before i was 30. anyways i got in at the other after a load of phone class and started late on the course after a few had dropped out. managed to get distinctions all the way through it with a lot of hard work.
could not get a start anywhere tried offering myself out free of just for the experience but no one was interested. ended up working on some pubs my boss had bought with a spark from college that had been doing it for a few years and then onto the night clubs had bought after. quite a lot i had to learn the hard way and taught myself most of it. would have been nice to have been shown the ropes and the easier ways of doing things but i enjoyed it all the same and because i had to struggle so hard to get anywhere it made it all the more rewarding.

I would have quite happliy worked for say £200 a week and a day in college. chance would have been a fine thing.
i would say 90% of the group have never made it into the trade from the year we were in and thats a real shame when you have a group of people willing to give up two nights a week for three years after a full days work.

Some people wil agree with my way and im sure others wont. I did a pay your way college course that cost me £6k on its own i think that course was not great but i was lucky enough to get a job with an electrician as an apprentice so instead of rushing the course i took 2 & 1/2 years to do it whereas some people on the course did it in 6 months. I think it worked well for me. I got hands on training and my qualifications too. 6 months after I finished my course and was "qualified" my boss wouldnt give me any more money or respect so I left and am on my own now.
Only problem im finding is my boss wouldnt do test and inspection with me for some reason so had to depend on the college training which leaves me having to either call elecsa or a mate electrician to find out exactly what certificates i need to fill in for the client but again am learning more with experience so thats becoming less frequent.

Reply to apprentice/ recently qualified roll call in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net