Discuss Arc Fault Detection going global ... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Well I ventured out into the kungflu today and one of the other items picked up was Professional Electrician for December. So I’m having a cuppa and reading, as I do. The article on p33 is about Amendment 2 to the 18th Edition. All good so far. Then I read that they are proposing all socket outlets 32A or less be AFDD. Is it just me, or has the world gone loopy loop?
F21E49C5-791B-4E2C-988D-5C22B10EA16C.jpeg

I can see ALL sorts of problems in industrial situations of AFDD causing tripping problems.

And no one yet has faced the problem of testing (either the AFDD or the circuit it is tripping on).

There were some exceptions to that regulation in the draft, that they missed out on in the article.

421.1.7 Arc fault detection devices (AFDD) conforming to BS EN 62606 shall be provided for single-phase
ACfinal circuits supplying socket-outlets andfixed current-using equipment with a rated current not exceeding 32A.
AFDDs conforming to BS EN 62606 are recommended for all other final circuits.
AFDDs may be omitted where unexpected disconnection of the circuit could cause danger, for example:
(i) the exciter circuit of a rotating machine
(ii) the supply circuit of a lifting magnet
(iii) a circuit supplying a fire extinguishingdevice
(iv) a circuit supplying a safety service, such as a fire alarm or a gas alarm
(v) a circuit supplying medical equipment used for life support in specific medical locations where an IT
system is incorporated
(vi) lighting circuits in dwellings.
Where used, AFDDs shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.
The use of AFDDs does not obviate the need to apply one or more measures provided in other clauses in this
standard

Last edited:
But more to the point - for the claim of improved safety there would need to be evidence. Has this been sighted?
This is the crux of the matter. Yes fires are terrible and to be avoided, but the majority of them appear to be faulty appliances (e.g. tumble dryers catching fire due to clogging with lint) or in many cases due to seriously deficient design & installation.

So where is the cost-benefit analysis of the number of fires that AFDD might stop, versus the wider economic impact of the higher cost and resulting changes in consumer behaviour.

After all the significant cost of AFDD will cause a lot less "optional" CU upgrades and that alone presents a fire risk due to the lack of RCD (which will trip on most parallel arcs), as well as a risk of a fatal shock. It is not simply a case of "make it so and they will just pay up", and there are unscrupulous folk who will quote cheap and do a dangerous job that many won't know about until it is too late.

AFDDs are redundant at best in the IEC market. Period. I know because thats exactly what UL and manufacturers were imitating when they created them. By their own admission EU/AS/NZ wiring practices already detect arcing faults.

This is the crux of the matter. Yes fires are terrible and to be avoided, but the majority of them appear to be faulty appliances (e.g. tumble dryers catching fire due to clogging with lint) or in many cases due to seriously deficient design & installation.

So where is the cost-benefit analysis of the number of fires that AFDD might stop, versus the wider economic impact of the higher cost and resulting changes in consumer behaviour.

After all the significant cost of AFDD will cause a lot less "optional" CU upgrades and that alone presents a fire risk due to the lack of RCD (which will trip on most parallel arcs), as well as a risk of a fatal shock. It is not simply a case of "make it so and they will just pay up", and there are unscrupulous folk who will quote cheap and do a dangerous job that many won't know about until it is too late.

Serial arcing is the end stage of joule heating, assuming combustion has not already initiated.

AFDDs are redundant at best in the IEC market. Period. I know because thats exactly what UL and manufacturers were imitating when they created them. By their own admission EU/AS/NZ wiring practices already detect arcing faults.

Out of interest, which existing EU wiring practices detect arc faults?

You folks probably have no idea of what we 'yanks' have gone through with this new 'technology' in the last 20 yrs, but i'll wager you'll not like them very much ~S~
There is definately that feeling of a "solution for a problem" that does, nt exist about these devices. I think it's present in the mind of many sparks. We would all be more than happy to be proved wrong as legitimate improvements should be welcomed. But the "proved wrong" part is the issue. Where is the overwhelming evidence for the need of thus device.?

You folks probably have no idea
Ah but we do! I read with great interest your previous exhortations for us to rise up and refuse AFDD. The evidence you presented was most compelling and finally I am swayed to your presentation of the redundancy of AFDD in the UK as our existing installations are adequate for arc detection. However my advice is to buy shares in AFDD! pronto! Well if it gets passed in the regs as compulsory. Thank goodness I am retiring soon. I shall get the popcorn and watch this space with great glee and gloating at my good fortune of not having to get involved in the forthcoming mess.

Could you expand on that statement a little?

Where the above PDF lead to the 3 PDFs I've attached below.

Lowering the magnetic trip value on single pole US breakers worked well, until it was theorized that in long circuit runs with a high Ze short circuit currents in US home wiring could be as low as 75 amps at the furthest point in the run.

A concept breaker was designed with a 75 amp pick-up, but was soon realized this would cause nuisance tripping on high inrush loads like vacuum cleaners, tools, ballasts, window AC units and light bulbs burning out.

As such an electronic AFCI was created in an effort to discriminate between inrush and sputtering short circuit aka arcing faults.

Easy solution would have been to restrict the length of 2.08, 3.31 and 5.261mm2 circuits. But nope, never happened.

Here is the whole concept being demonstrated:

When current is just below the magnetic trip level on a EU breakers it takes 7 seconds to trip. When set above the magnetic trip level that opening is instant.

The theory is that 7 seconds vs 1.5 cycles is the difference between a house fire.

The theory also stretches to cords, in the UK plug top fuses blow much faster than a breaker when the cord is damaged.

Attachments

• KeepingPace-7.pdf
    621.9 KB · Views: 2
  • KeepingPace-15.pdf
    441.7 KB · Views: 3
  • KeepingPace-37.pdf
    419.7 KB · Views: 2
Earth fault loop impedance, solenoid coils in MCBs, RCDs and fused plugs.

I'm not convinced that a 13A fuse in a UK plug would detect an arc fault. The point at where the arc was occurring would heat up, but the fuse would not necessarily blow.

I'm not convinced that a 13A fuse in a UK plug would detect an arc fault. The point at where the arc was occurring would heat up, but the fuse would not necessarily blow.

Parallel arc faults involve very high currents, limited only by Zs in domestic installations.

Reply to Arc Fault Detection going global ... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net