Discuss Attic fan redux. Sorry, but I still need advice... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

garyho

DIY
Reaction score
I posted yesterday and then thought I had it figured so I edited post and thankfully, a moderator then deleted it. I apologize for making work for the moderators but now I have everything in order and I do have a question about running the ground from an attic fan.
The attic fan (Powercool Plus 15 by Air Vent Inc.) was installed by roofers when they did our roof many months ago. They installed the fan into the roof (nicely it appears) but sort of left me in a lurch re. wiring it up.
From the fan there is a thermostat/ humidistat. But that thermostat has only two wires running out of it for power - just the black (pos) and the white. There is a ground screw on the thermostat housing (obvious in green and marked as well on the install pdf, that I do, in fact, have). But the install doc is sparse about wiring.
At this point, I have simply purchased a 15A plug and I have wired the black from the thermostat to the brass side of plug and the white to the silver side. I ran this, for testing, to an available outlet in the attic and it appears to work ok. The fan is on and appears to be running well.
My question is about the ground, however. Shouldn't I ground this thing? Can I simply run a wire from the ground screw on the housing to the plug? It almost seems like the fan manufacturer doesn't think grounding is nec. because they didn't run a ground wire out of the housing. (Or do they want it grounded somewhere else? Again, the install literature from Air Vent gives no details about it).
Is it safe, good practice to run a wire from the ground screw to the plug ground terminal?
I guess what I'm asking is should I run ground to plug or somewhere else (house ground)?
Thanks in advance. I hope I have been clear enough. Best, Gary in VA
Ps. I have attached the install doc the roofers gave me.

Attachments

• Installation_PowerCoolPlus-install.pdf
    150.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Paragraph 7 of the instructions says to connect the ground wire to the thermostat ground terminal (that you mention).
If the flexible conduit between the thermostat and fan is made of metal, that is presumably providing the ground connection between them.

The instructions also say that the installation should be undertaken by a qualified electrician 🤔

Ok. So, I've gone ahead and run a solid, non-stranded copper wire from the ground screw on the thermostat housing to the ground prong on the 15A 3-prong plug I've installed. For time being, the three-prong plug is right off the thermostat housing (the two wires (pos and neutral) coming from the housing running directly into the plug with the additional wire from the ground screw. (These wires are about 3 inches long, each). Then the plug into a heavy duty extension cord that runs to the GFI outlet in the attic.
This is just to get the fan running bc it's so danged hot here, in Virginia, now - mid-90sF in the shade.
My end goal is to run Romex from the thermostat housing to a switch installed next to the existing outlet in the attic (or maybe below, in the hallway) - making sure to use the ground as well.
The fan is running well. Moving a lot of air. Big difference! It was easily 135F up there when I first went up. Within a few hrs., it's much cooler in the attic space. (Ps. the fan is installed near the top and middle of the roof on the east side. I've set the thermostat to about 100f and the humidistat to about 75% - per instructions).
Thanks for reading. If anyone has further advice, I'll happily listen. Gary/ VA.

Paragraph 7 of the instructions says to connect the ground wire to the thermostat ground terminal (that you mention).
Yes. Just wondered why they didn't run the ground wire out (guess it gives some options). I responded above before seeing your mssg. Thanks, Gary

Reply to Attic fan redux. Sorry, but I still need advice... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net