Discuss Basic Testing Procedures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok then, 17th 612.3.3 states that when the circuit includes electronic devices which are likely to influence the results or be damaged, only a measurement between the live conductors (live and neutral) connected together and the earthing arrangement shall be made.

Does it mean just that connect the red/brown and the balck/blue together and then test..?

As I have this house which is very very difficult to get at all the sockets and unplug all sockets due to the amount of items in the rooms, its a bit like a hoarders house but not as bad, but bad enough to not to be able to get to the sockets.

just a little tiny miss on your ze, it is actually line nuteral and earth test not just line and earth...........

Why would you test the neutral on an earth loop impedance test. Please elaborate.

What reg number would that be and I will have a look.

With the main switch off,disconnect the Earthing conductor before this test and test between incoming Line Conductor & disconnected Earthing Condutor. I think he is confused and referring to Ipf PSCC & PEFC

Last edited by a moderator:
just a little tiny miss on your ze, it is actually line nuteral and earth test not just line and earth...........

Lets sort this out I have attached a picture of a Ze test please tell me how the neutral is part of the test.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 203
Really good thread guys, I've read through the whole of it and picked up some really useful tips. More threads like this need to be created, cheers!

why because thats what the regs say you haft to do acording to 7671 ?

Still waiting for regulation

will do

- - - Updated - - -

no not getting confused
It must be quite hard to find this regulation, Sintra is still waiting patiently, knowing you were pwned by him.

@ H34thy --Yes it is a good thread, as testing is the iceing on our cake as electricians. Im glad that it is of use to you.

Really good thread guys, I've read through the whole of it and picked up some really useful tips. More threads like this need to be created, cheers!

Well done as I think I have just read a "I have just chucked a CU in and the RCD is tripping" post if you do your testing then there should no major problem with the exceptions of a shared neutral in a light circuit but even then testing circuits and then connecting them up and testing them for operation at one at a time should suffice.

I recently dealt with Pat Co who do Pat testing in hornchurch - they said that we should get any failed items repaired. Is this right? Or should I just bin them?

Well look at it this way if its a £10 kettle then replace it if its a £500 dishwasher get it checked out. One thing to watch out for I recently had an oven with a failed label on it turn out there was a fault inside the plugtop and it took me 5 minutes to sort but you need to ask is the guy doing the testing an electrician or a PAT specific tester if the later then his job and brief is to Test Pass or Fail and if its fail then he just passes it on to you

Well look at it this way if its a £10 kettle then replace it if its a £500 dishwasher get it checked out. One thing to watch out for I recently had an oven with a failed label on it turn out there was a fault inside the plugtop and it took me 5 minutes to sort but you need to ask is the guy doing the testing an electrician or a PAT specific tester if the later then his job and brief is to Test Pass or Fail and if its fail then he just passes it on to you

slight off topic....what are the regs/rules regarding pat testing. was thinking of branching into this but from a quick, and i mean quick, look into it HSE says its not the law to get PAT testing done, its more of an insurance requirement. anyone any insight??

Well thing is this is on the back of a different post and should be in the PAT section

But anyway you have to look at how the British do things basically it is not law but it is recommended you do it this way and that applies across the board but yep not obliged to do PAT but will help with your insurance cover if you have it.

Then what you should do is open to interpitation

Reply to Basic Testing Procedures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net