Discuss Basic Testing Procedures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

slight off topic....what are the regs/rules regarding pat testing. was thinking of branching into this but from a quick, and i mean quick, look into it HSE says its not the law to get PAT testing done, its more of an insurance requirement. anyone any insight??
Kate, unless you can get quality clients who actually care you'll be up against the sticker and run brigade who do ten million items a day for 50p all in. It's almost impossible to make money at it.

Kate, unless you can get quality clients who actually care you'll be up against the sticker and run brigade who do ten million items a day for 50p all in. It's almost impossible to make money at it.

please dont shout for me being on wrong thread..come to my thread trev :) http://www.electriciansforums.net/pat-testing/77877-south-west-area-pat-testing.html
not in it for money. Its a hobby for person who would be doing it, keep their brain ticking and maybe get a holiday from it at end of year :)

Such an excellent post. Thanks, for providing this great knowledgeable facts. I have to submit the report in an organization with procedures of safe isolation and after reading your post, I don't have to search for other points, it is so much beneficial for me. There are several prosecutions occur in the recent years but by using this safety precautions, dangers of electrical system problems could be solved to a great extent.Thanks again.

Cheers Sintra, doing my 2330 Level 3 practicals this Friday coming and this is good revision for it. Nice one pal. :smiley2:

First time post here!!
Has anyone on here ever came accross an installation where the supply is 3 phase 220v?
this is on a fish farm where the site is supplied by a generator.
When it comes to testing, it becomes a bit awkward. As there is no neutral, the tester cannot reconise this which makes live testing not possible.
Also for R1+R2, as there is 2 phases, how can this be tested.
I believe that this type of setup is quite common in Norway.
Any feedback appreciated thanks!!

First time post here!!
Has anyone on here ever came accross an installation where the supply is 3 phase 220v?
this is on a fish farm where the site is supplied by a generator.
When it comes to testing, it becomes a bit awkward. As there is no neutral, the tester cannot reconise this which makes live testing not possible.
Also for R1+R2, as there is 2 phases, how can this be tested.
I believe that this type of setup is quite common in Norway.
Any feedback appreciated thanks!!

Live testing is always possible on a live circuit regardless of the voltage. R1 + R2 is a dead test between line and earth so I can't see that being a problem to do. Don't know why there being no neutral causes a problem.

I can see your point for the r1+r2, but would that mean you would have to carry out 2 x r1+r2 tests as there are two lives??
As for the live tests, I have tried to carry out the live tests myself and the meter will not let me carry these tests out. it is looking for a neutral but there is not one.

That's correct do 2 R1 + R2 tests and record the highest. What type of meter is it? Surely you can do a 2 lead test line to earth to get your Zs. Is the circuit RCD protected?

Do you have a megger tester?? Mine won't let me test without a neutral if I set it to the "no trip" option. There is a seperate setting I think it's called "high loop" not 100% sure on that name. It will accept two lead test but if you have an RCD covering the circuit it will trip it. You need to bypass the RCD. I'm not going to tell you how I would do that as I would get a lot of backlash!!

As Kate says a 2 lead high current test can be done if there is no RCD. Even if there is an RCD a 2 lead high current test can still be done without bypassing the RCD if you know the correct procedure. This would still let the Zs be taken without a neutral.

Just gotten home from my 2330 level 3 practical, what a ball ache.
Was told that there would be 6 faults to find...I found 20!
Wasn't as hard as I imagined.
I guess sometimes when you worry too much even simple stuff can seem daunting!
Now, time for a holiday...

Regs this is not the topic of this thread and I'm not going to have it trashed with irrelevant content.

Reply to Basic Testing Procedures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net