Discuss Bathroom Electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dlwilkins

Hi all,

I've recently had my ensuite bathroom refitted and am doing the electrics myself. I have read lots of regs and a few forums and I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer for me:-

1. I've had an towel rail fitted and want to have the electric element cable running into a Chrome Front fed FCU which is outside Zones 1+2. As far as I can tell this type of switchgear is allowed for permanently connected current using equipment. Is this correct?

2. The extractor fan is in Zone 2 (Ceiling) and is IPX4 rated which I believe to be ok (no cleaning with shower will take place) and will have a 3 pole isolator switch between the junction box and the fan itself. It's switched via a pull cord switch. Do I need a 3A in line fuse aswell?

3. My plan is to spur off a 13A socket from the upstairs ring main to provide the power for the bathroom. This ring has an 30mA RCD at the C.U. I can't find any info to say if this is/isn't allowed? Assuming it is, is this adequate or should I fit an extra RCD between the ring socket and the bathroom?

Also I believe some/all of this work is notifiable, is it acceptable/possible to ask a qualified Electrician to sign it off?

Thanks in advance for any answers....

Damon

All this work is notable to LABC so should be carried out and signed off by a registered electrical contractor with appropriate certification! Post your location on here one of the members may be near by and able to help!

Is all of this work notifiable as the new installations are all outside the zones and I'm not installing a new circuit?

it's a debatable point as to whether notification is required for the bathroom as a whole, or just within zones.

Re the below link, the paragraph just before the diagrams that starts, "The Building Regulations now define notifiable work...." appears to state this...Part P: third party certification - IET Electrical

dlwilkins, where do you live? I am only in Market Harborough should you wish to use an electrician.

UKsparks, I'm near Lutterworth. Thanks for the offer but from what I've read I don't think the work is notifiable so can carry it out myself.

After I've completed the work and should wish to get it double checked, could I contact you then?

Cheers.

You state that the work is not notifiable to building control but you also mention a fan in zone 2 and possibly a towel rail which would then be an alteration or addition to circuits in the zones of a bathroom?
The work still needs to comply with the wiring regulations and the building regulations as a whole.
You have linked to the third party certification information from IET that states that the third party must be involved from the beginning to caryy out the required inspection and testing to ensure the work is safe.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your post. The fan is above 2.25cm from the floor so essentially out of the zones, sorry for the misinformation. The towel rail is also outside the zones.

I am going to contact an electrician for advice, just to be on the safe side.

Hi all,

I've recently had my ensuite bathroom refitted and am doing the electrics myself. I have read lots of regs and a few forums and I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer for me:-

1. I've had an towel rail fitted and want to have the electric element cable running into a Chrome Front fed FCU which is outside Zones 1+2. As far as I can tell this type of switchgear is allowed for permanently connected current using equipment. Is this correct?

2. The extractor fan is in Zone 2 (Ceiling) and is IPX4 rated which I believe to be ok (no cleaning with shower will take place) and will have a 3 pole isolator switch between the junction box and the fan itself. It's switched via a pull cord switch. Do I need a 3A in line fuse aswell?

3. My plan is to spur off a 13A socket from the upstairs ring main to provide the power for the bathroom. This ring has an 30mA RCD at the C.U. I can't find any info to say if this is/isn't allowed? Assuming it is, is this adequate or should I fit an extra RCD between the ring socket and the bathroom?

Also I believe some/all of this work is notifiable, is it acceptable/possible to ask a qualified Electrician to sign it off?

Thanks in advance for any answers....

Damon

Anything else?, a bacon buttie, a tea perhaps?

Anything else?, a bacon buttie, a tea perhaps?

If you work for food mate you can come to ours and change my CU for one with RCBO's. I'll feed you as many bacon, sausage & egg butties you can eat and as much tea as you can drink.....

Reply to Bathroom Electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net