Discuss Becoming a fully qualified electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AMAR1

hi all i am new to site. I was looking into becoming a qualified electrician have looked at many routes but i am confused courses like the rf training & olci both say that after completing certain of their courses you are classed as a fully qualified electrician and can gain employment in certain areas.this is alot of money for something that might not be the right qualification for me. I have also looked at going to college but am confused on to what course to enrol on and what option is better for me. So could someone advise which option to go for training centre or a college course and what course would i have to enrol in at college?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from these "training centres", they will cost you a small fortune and the certs. in the real industry are meaningless!! Go through your local Technical College route as it will give you the proper qualifications, recognized in the industry, then try and get a sympathetic employer to take you on as either an apprentice or an adult trainee (dependent on age), contact the college and they will advise you how to begin and contact the apprentice training board ( think it's JTL in England, but SECTT in Scotland) and they'll help you. Good luck and once you start your training join Unite the Union, you might just need there help when the chips are down.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE TRAINING CENTRES AND HAVE BEEN PUT OF BY WHAT I HAVE READ. I DID SPEAK TO MY LOCAL COLLEGE AND THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE THE FOLLOWING COURSE
City & Guilds Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology Level 2 2330 AND THEN FOLLOW ONTO LEVEL 3 BUT DIDNT KNOW IF THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO GO TO BECOMING FULLY QUALIFIED IN THE NXT COUPLE OF YEARS AFTER DOING LEVEL3. COULD YOU ADVISE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT COURSE TO PURSUE IM ONLY 24 SO HAVE GOT TIME ON MY HANDS AND HAVE GOT FINANCIAL SUPPORT FROM MY FAMILY SO CAN PUT GOING TO WORK ON HOLD AND GO TO COLLEGE FULL TIME.

Full time at my college is 2 full days a week and shortens the level 2 by one year so if money is not a burden ie bills kids etc then try to get work with a local spark to get you in there ASAP.

What do you mean like electrician's mate something along them lines i have no problem working for small amount at the start but is difficult to get with one with no experiance. I am from birmingham and find that all local colleges do the course full time meaning like 4 days a week at college. What college did you go to or are attending?

Try as hard as you can to become an adult trainee or apprentice, that way the company will pay you to go to college on block release or night school, if you go down the "mate" route it's more of a gamble and you'll have to juggle college time IMHO.

they are right mate go the college route if you can the RF and olci courses are very rushed and cost the earth believe me mate as i have done this routeI passed it all but only as i put the effort in and now have chosen to do lv3 2330 to learn more if i had known i could get funding in the beginning then the college route would have been my option and the 2330 lv2 and 3 route
But as i am a adult and was told by jobcentre that there wasnt any funding paid private and it cost the earth for some basic quals and 6 week training
when all along i could have done it far cheaper at college and ended up with better quals like the 2330

GO to college if family circumstance and commitments allow good luck

On the jokecentre point brucelee talks about, the jokecentre and the REC have joined together in an agreement to work with each other and advertise agency jobs, regardless of the quality,length,pay,qualifications, etc etc.......so it's no surprise to me that they offer no help or advise for going to college as that route WILL produce fully qualified, industry recognized sparks that the agencies and mobs are trying to get rid of!!! Have a look at my thread, to give you an idea of the situation in the electrical contracting industry and you'll see you are walking into a rat race to the bottom!!!
My thread is: SMA's and the de-skilling ofthe industry.

thanks for your replys. i have been recently trying to get into being a adult trainee or apprentice but have found it difficult.i think going to college would be a good route for me but wanted to know if the c&g level 2 2330 course i indicated above is the right way to go? and how long does it take to becoming a fully qualified electrician is that i have to complete the level 2&3 or other courses after?

On the jokecentre point brucelee talks about, the jokecentre and the REC have joined together in an agreement to work with each other and advertise agency jobs, regardless of the quality,length,pay,qualifications, etc etc.......so it's no surprise to me that they offer no help or advise for going to college as that route WILL produce fully qualified, industry recognized sparks that the agencies and mobs are trying to get rid of!!! Have a look at my thread, to give you an idea of the situation in the electrical contracting industry and you'll see you are walking into a rat race to the bottom!!!
My thread is: SMA's and the de-skilling ofthe industry.

Hi mate

yes I have read your thread and agree with most of it its a shame they are turning a once great trade into a joke

the private courses should be made to spread the course over a longer period and include more as they dont teach you everything to be a electrician Like they claim, especially the scientific principles only enough to be able to carry out basically domestic installations but yet they say become a qualified electrician in 6 or 7 weeks

they are very rushed and give basic qualifications unlike say apprentice or 2330 adult route
ever since i gave up my apprenticeship up in 1986 i have tried to get back on a course that would lead to being fully qualified I have worked on and off for over 25 yr mainly in domestic side new build rewires and same for commercial and little industrial under the watchful eye of good old fashioned sparkys
But lacked the theory and understanding of exactly how it worked
I have asked them repeatedly about possible training courses etc but always told there wasnt any or no funding

I had to give up working to become a full time carer for my mrs as she was left disabled I again asked about help with training funding setting up self employed basically anything to give us a better future

there answer was you dont have to work your exempt and there is nothing no help what so ever as i am not classed now as unemployed due to being a carer so as a result to get any help whatsoever you hvae to be on JSA for 6 months

I have contacted every firm or organisation for help with training wether private or not and to set up self employed and in the end Had to pay £4020 reduced from £5,020 for 2382-10,2377,2393, logic full scope level A and defined scopes lvB,C electrical competence achievment 6 week theory and practical training which is all on small rigs and bays
a megger 1552, BS7671, OSG a large folder of course notes and a CK toolkit hardly worth the £4k eh mate

and then I paid for and studied for 4 months at home for 2391-10 lv3 as this is the qualification the industry seems to recognise the most
I have also managed to get a course at a local college for 2330 lv3 and found out i would only have to pay £120 for the exam fees due to being a carer AMAZING WHY COULDNT THE JOKECENTRE JUST GIVE ME THIS LITTLE BIT OF INFO which would have saved me laods of hassle and time not to mention a large amount of money and then i would have had more industry recognised quals instead of basic ones. I should have started last september but missed out no places left after initailly being told there was then again in march I turned up to find no course on the date i was told to april 21st , due to C&G messing about with all quals which was supposed to be last registration 31/ 3/ 2011 now extended until 31/7/2012 due to the new 2357 not being ready for the industry so my course was postponed until june again i went to find i was in with a class of lv2 students who had initially been fast tracked to lv3 to register before march and they had all been returned to lv2 resulting in increased fees etc again due to torys and there pet dog and we all had our initial fees returned to be told it could be as much as £1600 but i believe its around £600-800 were under the old system it was a lot cheaper i was outraged as others went to college asked to speak to someone and a nice lady sorted everything and took the £120 cheque back and ripped it up as she had apporached the director of the college in regard to this matter who agreed with me that they had a duty to deliver a course for the fee i initailly paid and they should deliver the said course

THANKS TO THE VERY NICE LADY

I started in june did 4 weeks basically doing sample papers for lv2 and then had to re-enrol again last week as the C&G again messed the college up so on there system they had no students for this yr and everybody had to go and fill all forms again for the third time so instead of the tutors preparing for the course had to be in the canteen re enrolling everyone for loads of different courses

there is only 1 organisation that would help to set up self employed but due to the tory government cutting grants which i would have been eligible for this is another door shut in my face

I would do any course they would let me and have spent around £7k trying to get fully qualified and having to enrol also for a nvq and setting up registering with elecsa before i earn a penny
C&G and all the other organisations as well as the government are ruining a once great trade with there messing which is the only job i ever wanted to do i would go back to being a apprentice which is highly unlikely if at some point i would get the JIB card and experience etc to be fully appproved and qualified

the apprentice route is the best, but for adults almost a impossibility and people have committments family wise. The government in there infinite wisdom havnt thought it through but neither did labour when they were spending the cash in the good times

Last edited:
HI mate you will also need C&G 2382-10 lv3 for the 17th edition requirments in electrical installations which you can get either through college or one of the private providers look about ask the college it will prob be cheaper with college but may now not because all funding changed
and if you do the 2382 after december it will be new C&G 2382-12 which is being updated in line with the amendment 1 that is due to come into force jan 1st
then there is the 2391-10lv3 inspection and tesing which also ends december to be replaced by 2394 initial verification and 2395 which will cover existing installations Ie Pirs which are going to be caleed EICR (electrical installation condition reports) and 2396 for design and verification which is replacing the 2391-20 design course as it is now or you can do the 2392lv2 first to build upto Lv3 but not recognised like the 2391-10

By the time you will be doing it it will all have changed

the 2330 last registration is july 2012
so hurry to get on the 2330 lv2 now
or you may find you will have to enrol for the new C&G 2357 which is replacing the 2330 and the NVQ 2356

all Qualifications are changing or being updated from December the the new QCF framework Visit the C&G website all info regarding quals is on there

good luck mate whatever you choose contact college now ask to speak to someone

Last edited:
Brucelee, my heart goes out to you and I hope you get it all sorted in the end brother. It's a damn disgrace that hard working, motivated individuals like you, are treated so bad!!! Apparently the British worker is lazy and doesn't want to do any hard graft........well I think the Govt. should have a look at this thread and they'll see where the REAL British workers are and the sh%t we've to put up with, all just to earn a crust!!!!!

They dropped the funding for level 3 city in guilds 2330 so you may find after completing level 2 you have to pay for level 3, like i have. Even though im under 18

Alright Amari. Ive done a full electrical course with olci at birmingham and it was a good option for me. Package had the 2330 level 2 + level 3, then your nvq which you need to be qualified. think this has been replaced by a new c&g qual now so check that they do that now instead, expect they do. everything on the course was included and the tutors were great blokes who would always help you out. College can be a good idea and I looked into, but its not cheap and not easy to find somewhere to take you, specialy if your a bit older like me! college isnt quick ether, with a bit of hard work I got all my training done with olci in one and half year, which isn’t always an option at college. Im working in the trade now and still learning all the time, but it was a good route in for me so dont rule it out

Cheers madmac

I am doing 2330 lv3 now and have registered for a nvq but need the work so only way i can do it is to set up self employed and have a elecsa assessment lined up now i just have to pray i pass but then i will stil struggle to get all required evidence for nvq I have a few good friends on the forum who are kindly helping

i would work for free just to get my nvq and eventually the JIb electrican approved gold card and especially to get invaluable experience from a electrician that would undoubtably have more knowledge and experience

Last edited:
Bad times for all my man!!! But back to the ops question. I believe it goes like this. To become fully qualified in the old days you had to gain the 236 part 1 and 2 and the latest edition. That then became the 2360 part 1 and 2 and the current edition. Then they brought in the 2330 level 2 and 3????? wot happened to 1??? Now they have the 2356 which is the eqiviliant to a diploma???????????
So to be a fully qualified spark all you need is a 2356, 17th ed, Part P??, 2392 and 2391 oh but they have just changed that its now 2394 and 2395!!!! oh oh oh and an am1 am2 plus an NVQ!!!!!!!!!!!
So now that is all clear go to a quick learn course, spend 15grand and you still wont get a job. BECAUSE all a sparks needs is experiance and knowledge of the game provided by doing things properly going to college grabbing experiance wherever and whenever and being enthusiastic keen and ready to learn. Sadly that is not for sale at any price and cant be learned in 6 8 0r 10 weeks.
Im sorry for my sarcasim but i attended 1 of these colleges to update my paperwork and witnessed them clearly whipping money out of peoples hands that had no experiance or knowledge and will never make it!!!!!! Still they offer a service and whoever will pay for it they will provide it!!!!!
So the point i make is when i went to college in 1994/5 all the guys i went to college with are still sparks and have a reasonable living.
The guys i seen at a quick learn college (No name mentioned) only 2 are sparks and they where already experianced and i am 1 lol

...and how to sell to the public, how to deal with tricky customers, how to put a quote together, how to be tax efficient, how to run a business etc etc etc

I Have just been reading through this thread and here's a quick comment:

I passed my 236 Part 1 +NVQ in 1990 according to the college i need level 3 but they do it as a day course here (but i am working full time) getting the experience with 3 phase and taking my 2391 paid for by work.
I have 17th 2008 with Part P all the experience i am gaining still i can't seem to take the 2330 level 3 course since the structure is one complete day. This is not an option as my employer is not interested so hence know looking for work with a company where I stand a chance. BUT do i need it if i can pass my 2391???????? That's hard enough and I ain't getting any younger.
Good luck to any one trying to expand there qualifications!!!!!! Cheers Ian.

Reply to Becoming a fully qualified electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net