Discuss Best way of supplying underfloor heating in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
At a rewire today, client has decided he wants underfloor heating all through his house. This is what will be heating his house. Downstairs it’s 4 small bedrooms and a small hallway, upstairs he has a dining room and a very large living room. Never done underfloor heating before, I was going to split it into 2 rings, upstairs and downstairs. Anyone else more experienced in this and can give me any advice on it?? Surely his bills are going to be massive heating his house this way

Very much depends on sizes of rooms, manufacturer of mat, etc. Some mats run at 200w a square metre which would put bedrooms at 2-3kW each. Living room is defo gonna require a couple of supplies and possibly a contactor setup depending on if the client want's it to be controlled by one or multiple stats.

Very much depends on sizes of rooms, manufacturer of mat, etc. Some mats run at 200w a square metre which would put bedrooms at 2-3kW each. Living room is defo gonna require a couple of supplies and possibly a contactor setup depending on if the client want's it to be controlled by one or multiple stats.
Said to him living room will probs need to be split into 2 and 2 stats, he was okay with this. Might say to him to get the 150w per square metre to keep the load down as low as it can be

What flooring are they having? Tiles, wood, carpet? No point in bedrooms and I’d limit it to rooms with tiled floors ... but as above ...expensive heating option.

What flooring are they having? Tiles, wood, carpet? No point in bedrooms and I’d limit it to rooms with tiled floors ... but as above ...expensive heating option.
Says he’s planning on doing
says he’s planning on doing a line down each side of the bed and across. Not under the bed, dont even know if that is possible as I’ve never done it before and not sure how to calculate the load if he’s not doing the full room

You can fix UF heating mats into any area configuration you like, you just need to know the area and match with manufacturer sizes. What flooring are they having?

I’ve never done it before
If you've never done it before I'd steer clear of this one until you've cut your teeth on something more manageable like a bathroom or two.
Its normal not to install UFH under fixed furniture like a bed which is unlikely to move so sensible on clients part.
The UFH will be dependent upon type of flooring and could be mat or loose cable!
The bills will astronomical as previously said!

If you've never done it before I'd steer clear of this one until you've cut your teeth on something more manageable like a bathroom or two.
Its normal not to install UFH under fixed furniture like a bed which is unlikely to move so sensible on clients part.
The UFH will be dependent upon type of flooring and could be mat or loose cable!
I’m not doing it I’m just responsible for running the supplies for it. I defos won’t be going bel
im not going to be doing the mats I’m just responsible for getting the supply’s to them

If you’re not doing the matts you’ll need to tie in closely with whoever is to find out manufacturers requirements, loading and design circuits accordingly. I’ve run small matts off FCU’s from a RFC and also run separate dedicated radials.

and bear in mind that the manufacturer willnot honour warranty if the installer is not a fully fleeced paid up scam member.

Presumably you know where the controllers are being positioned and where the feed and thermostat for each mat are going ? ??

Hi,this sounds like a hurried decision,by the customer,

If you have not been asked about supplies for ventilation,and not noticed any upgrades in insulation,then a couple of rows around a room will not function as hoped.

Reply to Best way of supplying underfloor heating in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock