Discuss Bootlace ferrules French or German colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks

TLC have bootlace ferrules in French or German colours. Is it legit to use these in the UK? If so, is either preferable and why? And why have these not been harmonized?

I'm using the German colour scheme because I dislike their political leaders only slightly less than I dislike the French political leaders :)

France and Germany... harmonise... LOL! It will never happen. Make the rules for everyone else to follow and then say screw it, we're doing our own thing :D

In all seriousness, I think it's down to either a stated standard where the work is being carried out or you're own personal preference and what's available at your wholesaler.

Lol, should have guessed this one would get political! Personally I don't like any political leaders, and as for civil servants...

I'd always assumed our red, blue and yellow butt splice crimps were a harmonized standard (never really thought about it). But now I do think about it, maybe it's a Romanian one based on their flag.

I guess it doesn't really matter as they are not used to identify the conductor - just to identify the size of ferrule so once selected the colour is irrelevant.

Use any colours you like. They are only coloured to help you pick the right one out of the box, unlike cables which are coloured to identify their function. I've always used French.

i only use black ones to match my logo's shirt. if the wires don't fit, clip a few strands off. :eek::eek::eek:.

Thanks all for the advice! I went for
Deutsch Farbschema Ferrulen in the end (had to look that up!) as the 1.5 and 2.5 are red and blue respectively, the same as our butt splices.

How could they be harmonized when they're coloured as per size. You'd have umpteen colours per size.....what a mix up.

He's saying to have them coloured to match the cable colour they're fitted to AND colour coded to conductor size would result in far too many needed to be practical.

Reply to Bootlace ferrules French or German colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net