Discuss Bootlace ferrules French or German colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just to be clear, when I suggested they should be harmonized, I didn't mean according to polarity, I just meant the sizes would each be coloured the same across Europe or the world.

just fit whatever ferrule goes round the cable. hit with a hammer.jobs a good 'un. oops, thought i was on the plumbers forum.

I can solve that problem, use only uninsulated ferrules.
Seems a very valid point. I mean Shirley if you just strip the right amount of conductor insulation in the first place there's no need for insulated ferrules. Where do you buy your uninsulated ones?

Not sure uninsulated and insulated are the correct terms for boot lace ferrules?
The little coloured plastic part is hardly insulation.
Saying that, I prefer the insulated ferrules as the plastic part allows for easier insertion of the wire.

Seems a very valid point. I mean Shirley if you just strip the right amount of conductor insulation in the first place there's no need for insulated ferrules. Where do you buy your uninsulated ones?
RS or get wholesaler to get them, they are really useful for small terminals and for 13A plugs if I'm in a good mood.

Not sure uninsulated and insulated are the correct terms for boot lace ferrules?
The little coloured plastic part is hardly insulation.
Saying that, I prefer the insulated ferrules as the plastic part allows for easier insertion of the wire.
That's what they are called by the manufacturers.

if iwant a bare ferrule, i insert the wire the other way in then snip the plastic bit off.

If you pop the plastic bit off with some small cable croppers you keep the flared end to make poking the wire in easier.
20181002_184044.jpg

In case anyone is still wondering...

There are actually 3 colour ranges of cord-end ferrules:

1. French colours.
2. German colours.
3. DIN colours (which might arguably also be regarded as a second German range, because the DIN standard originates from Germany).

Some DIN colours are the same as French: 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 35 and 50 (mm²).
Some DIN colours are the same as German: 0.14, 0.34, 2.5 and 4.0 (mm²).
For all the remaining sizes: 0.25, 0.75, 6, 10 , 16 and 25 (mm²), the DIN colours are different to French and German.

The only difference between them all is the colour. Everything else about the products is identical. So presumably you can just use whatever colour is specified by your customer or the control panel designer.

In terms of popularity, our customers in the UK buy about twice as many French ones compared to German ones, but both sell well. So I'd guess that the French colours might be more popular in the UK. I hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone is still wondering...

There are actually 3 colour ranges of cord-end ferrules:

1. French colours.
2. German colours.
3. DIN colours (which might arguably also be regarded as a second German range, because the DIN standard originates from Germany).

Some DIN colours are the same as French: 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 35 and 50 (mm²).
Some DIN colours are the same as German: 0.14, 0.34, 2.5 and 4.0 (mm²).
For all the remaining sizes: 0.25, 0.75, 6, 10 , 16 and 25 (mm²), the DIN colours are different to French and German.

The only difference between them all is the colour. Everything else about the products is identical. So presumably you can just use whatever colour is specified by your customer or the control panel designer.

In terms of popularity, our customers in the UK buy about twice as many French ones compared to German ones, but both sell well. So I'd guess that the French colours might be more popular in the UK. I hope that helps :)

I use French as they're what I first bought and just restock in the same colours.

Could it be that pricing or availability influences choice between colour ranges?

I use French as they're what I first bought and just restock in the same colours.

Could it be that pricing or availability influences choice between colour ranges?
Yes good point, it is possible that we've been offering the French colours at lower prices, but generally I guess that our customers probably just stick to buying the colour range that they have always bought.

We might have bought stock of different colours at different times, which tends to mean that the prices are rather individual per part number. Currently, several of our French colours are cheaper than their equivalent German colours, but that might even out once we do the next price review and/or the next purchase of stock.

Reply to Bootlace ferrules French or German colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net