Discuss Cable buying advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dal

-
Reaction score
Hi all, my electrician is currently dealing with his Ukraine family issues and asked me to get everything prepped for when he returns. I'm in Spain where sourcing materials can be difficult to say the least. He specced 20 meters of 16mm2 positive and neutral cable to come in from the meter but didn't mention the size of earth cable which comes from an earth rod half that distance away.

From what I've read online it could be 10mm2 for the earth or it could be the same as the other cabling at 16mm2. I need to know which would be okay as minimum requirement because the 16mm2 presents the problem of having to buy a minimum of 30 meters which represents huge wastage compared to the 10mm2 of which I can buy just 10 meters.

I know budget shouldn't impact safety but money saved where I can gives me more flexibility and less corners to consider cutting! 😄

Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming this cabling is all in singles. I don't know whether the earth has to be the same size or could be smaller, but i do know that my local supplier in Spain sells cable by the metre. Basically, they have all the various sizes on drums on spoolers and you simply take off the lengths you require. maybe you can find another supplier who uses this method rather than selling by the drum?

Really you would need to check the Spanish regulations.

Here in the UK for an earth rod connection 10mm would be fine, however, if it was from the supply point (different type of earthing arrangement) then it would need to be 16mm.

As above, check with electrical wholesale places as they might sell you 16mm by the meter and then you won't have to worry over what size the regulations demand.

Reply to Cable buying advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net