Discuss Cable length in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Keith the beef

Can anybody please simplify some calculations for me please i have a 100A PME supply that is supplying a house roughly 100-150 metres away. it is run in 50mm 4 core SWA three phase and neutral they have run a ten mm cpc seperate alongside it, No continuity from the armourings as they have glanded it into Bakelite on the fuse board, as there has been a square hole knocked out in the bottom of the board.
Didn't see this at first as there was that much muck/dust inside the board.
Now what i'm after is can anyone remind me of the calcs i need t find out whether the armourings are suitably sized if they were connected?
Personally i don't know why they ran a 10mm alongside it as i don't believe this will carry anywhere near the fault current.
I have looked through my regs book but am having a proper no brain day (in fact year) too much on my plate at the minute.
I am wondering if they have thought that a shortfall in the calcs for the armourings can be bought up to regs with just a 10mm.
Not done any calcs like this for a while need brain refreshing

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a discussion on this a little while ago.CPC should be 50% the size of the conductor.So it looks like 25mm needed.

Section 543 to 547 of the regs may help. The rule of thumb is, as Mac has stated, half conductor size.

It sounds like who-ever installed the cable may have got confused with reg 547: equipotential bonding conductors (even then 16mm should have been installed)

Hi.
Dont think the 2 previous posts understood the question correctly,
As I understand it you are asking if the armour of the SWA is large enough to be the earth, there is a very usefull chart on the web and you will have to google it, type in SWA as earth conductor, you should be able to find a chart which gives you the CSA of most cable sizes, the figures in brackets are the ones that require an additional earth.

Hope that helps, if you cant find it then let me know and I will get it for you

Thanks for the reply chaps, i have been and had a closer look at this today,
Then 10mm doesn't run all the way with the armoured, so it is not a seperate cpc along with the supply, i put my meters on a socket outlet this morning to get a loop reading of 8.89, a tad high me thinks!!!!!!
so i probe a little further measure earth terminal on the board again 8. something,
i walked down to the supply end had a look around, measured the PME 0.28, thats ok then.
Back up to the house did a loop test on the gland nut 0.41 now this cable is on 100A bs 88 fuses and to comply with maximum earth loop readings for protective devices that'll need dropping to 80A fuses allowing me a loop reading of 0.46 (80% of value given in bs7671 as given on back of front cover of test sheets)
Now the cable has a 40 Bw gland on it it, for the life of me i can't decide whether it is a 35mm, 50mm, ?

Measured the cable accross outer sheathing etc it's 32mm accross.
I paced it out at roughly 110m long

Now as i mentioned earlier the gland has no continuity to the board which must be sorted.
However just to clarify my readings a little later i did another loop test on the socket outlet and got 0.81 on a cooker switch socket (same one as before) and 0.62 on the earth bar in the board?????
I checked and checked my leads, connections, my sanity.
Whats going on here??????
Keith

Sparks just read your post thanks buddy , i've had a look and seen a chart like this, wasn't sure whether it was accurate or not as it wasn't from the bible, bs7671.
I may have been looking at a different one to you though do you have a link pleae?
that is my question though is the armour of this swa sufficient?
How can i confirm the cable size?
Thanks again
Keith

Ta very much my friend

Well according to that all should be good whether it be 35, or 50mm.
I would like to confirm the size 100% though any ideas?

Reply to Cable length in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net