Discuss Can anyone give me an idea how old this might be? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

STR777

DIY
Reaction score
Located in a 1950’s house I’m buying. The whole house will get rewired anyway, but not for a couple of years after we move there and start doing building work. It’s going to be a few more weeks until we can get an EICR done.
I’m just curious.
4FCE4B08-ED30-46B6-BDFC-F5536DB94D7B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is a 1950s house then probably some of it is from the original installation (probably the brown Bakelite fuse box that mostly has the rewirable fuses).

It is possible that it has been rewired in between but the original fusebox retained. Without seeing the type/condition of cables at accessories such as sockets and light switches it is hard to tell.

An EICR should reveal more, but I would strongly suspect it will find issues with that installation.

Some good guidance on EICR is the freely available "Best Practice Guide #4" that you can download here:

My guess would be that is the original stuff from when the house was first built,

If you are planning a full rewire in the next 12-18 months then you really only need to know if the existing wiring is safe to continue using such as no unearthed metal switches etc

Just to expand @Dustydazzler comment - up to 1966 the wiring regulations did not mandate a CPC (earth wire) for light circuits, but after 1966 that has to be provided so any metal switch are safely earthed.

If it was rewired in, say, mid 70s it should be OK. Biggest risk of all is old VIR cables (vulcanised India rubber) as they perish and go brittle which is a shock and fire hazard. PVC cables (outside of a short period of "green goo") are likely safe in not abused (overheated, nibbled by rodents, etc).

The lack of RCD protection for sockets is a significant risk for outdoor use, though for a short time you could get an extension lead with RCD plug to work-around that.

Thanks for the replies. We’ll be doing a big extension along with a full rewire in a couple of years time. Just trying to work out if it’s going to be safe to live there with kids for a couple of years. I guess we’ll see what the EICR says but anticipating the worst!

Thanks for the replies. We’ll be doing a big extension along with a full rewire in a couple of years time. Just trying to work out if it’s going to be safe to live there with kids for a couple of years. I guess we’ll see what the EICR says but anticipating the worst!
If you want any feedback/advice on the EICR results then you can post them here with any personal information redacted (your name/address, the company/person who did it).

As above, unless VIR cable then probably a CU (consumer unit = fuse box) change is all that is needed plus odd fixes. But if planning a rewire than look at what you want overall and any new CU should have enough spare ways for that and the odd extra circuit you discover you want later (e.g. garage, shed/office, outdoor lights, etc)

If you want any feedback/advice on the EICR results then you can post them here with any personal information redacted (your name/address, the company/person who did it).

As above, unless VIR cable then probably a CU (consumer unit = fuse box) change is all that is needed plus odd fixes. But if planning a rewire than look at what you want overall and any new CU should have enough spare ways for that and the odd extra circuit you discover you want later (e.g. garage, shed/office, outdoor lights, etc)

Will do. Thanks very much!

Be careful with the fuse box, I think that type has asbestos in the fuse carriers.
The cream one? I was wondering about it (and the possibly unused box below it, not sure what it is).

The Wylex rewiarable are fine, just a ceramic holder, but as you say - best to check before poking around in it.

if the cables are not VIR and nonumpty has been messing around, then it should be OK for a couple of years.

Sounds like you have all the original wiring from when the house were first built , VIR , wooden boxes and spilt tube probably.

Very much a ball park estimate , but a full proper rewire will be £6-10K depending on your final spec

Does the property have gas central heating ?, the reason I ask is because that can be your bargaining tool if not, CH puts value on a property, electrical work does not.

Reply to Can anyone give me an idea how old this might be? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net