Discuss Compact 3-phase DB solution needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm moving my workshop into a room that contains the intake. I want to put cabinets where the switchgear is at the moment, so it would be very handy if I could condense it into a small space above the meter board and put a little cupboard around it. I am looking for the most compact, not-too-expensive DB or equivalent solution that gives me:

100A TP+N incomer
One 80A outgoing way for TP+N submain to machine shop
Six RCBO ways for local SP+N circuits (load is only a few kW so can all be on one phase)

The obvious solution would be:
Isolator + Henley block + SP+N DB for local circuits + TP+N switchfuse for submain.

What I would prefer it to look like is this:
Proteus 3-way horizontal TP+N DB
But that is limited to 63A outgoing ways and it's Proteus. 63A is tight, might be OK with HRCs.

I could put the requisite bits in a DIN rail box, or WWYD?

why the 63A limit when it's got a 100A per phase main switch?

Because they don't supply (and I don't think one could fit, physically) any outgoing devices larger than 63A.

Could you use a second main switch instead of a breaker for the outgoing sub Main?
Obviously there are things to consider if you go down that route but I don’t think I have to explain it!

Interesting idea. I had ruled out a solid connection (dummy MCB) module as they don't exist for those boards, but a main switch ought to do the job electrically and mechanically if the busbar lugs are the same. Then perhaps a TP 22 x 58 fuseholder in a box above that the SWA can terminate into.

What do people think about using adjacent but technically separate OCPD for a distribution circuit? The 18 inches of cable between the submain's outgoing switch way and the fuseholders would be protected only by the DNO cutouts, like a busbar with no fuse in the main switch.

What do people think about using adjacent but technically separate OCPD for a distribution circuit? The 18 inches of cable between the submain's outgoing switch way and the fuseholders would be protected only by the DNO cutouts, like a busbar with no fuse in the main switch.
As long as it's properly installed I don't think I'd worry. Merlin/Schneider sell kits with solid links to connect a second adjacent DB to an outgoing way, fitted one recently to connect a 100A MCCB to a 250A distribution board. I'd probably use sheathed singles for the unfused connections.

Hager do 'hybrid' 3ph boards that have 2 larger ways for larger MCBs 80A up to 125A. but these are much too tall for what you want!

I know it's larger than you want but I have a couple of Invicta (hager) 3PH boards and some MCBs triple pole and single if you decide to make more room. If you even can. Just thought I would put that out here.

I don't really want to use Proteus anything, but I wasn't seeing an equivalent TP+N board in this form factor from anyone else.

Now, supposing I use a 100A TP main switch for the outgoing connection to the separate fuseholders. I could potentially be loading the busbar pins up to 80A. I know it won't be a problem but does anyone know top of head which DB ranges actually spec solid links for 100A from a nominal 63A way?

I have a couple of Invicta (hager) 3PH boards and some MCBs triple pole and single if you decide to make more room. If you even can.

You got me thinking and I had another look and offered up a redundant Invicta 63 Mk1 4-way TP+N board that I had rattling about. There's various stuff to go in the cupboard including a network cabinet, alarm panel etc but if I mix things up a bit I could just about get the 4-way board in with enough room for the submain fuseholder in a DIN rail box adjacent.

The DB doesn't have a main switch though, so perhaps if someone has an old Hager book to hand, could you confirm whether a JK13S 100A TP incomer fits a JK04P1 DB? Also, would the same flavour of switch fit the outgoing way?

Vort, what do you have?

Eaton do a range of horizontal 3ph boards I think.
Edit,
Not any more by the looks of things.

Last edited:
This sort of thing x 2 The MCB and triple pole are not screwed in so that is why they look a bit wobbly, could find the number on the lid if you need it. I just could not throw them away as I took them out they are a nice bit of kit.
[automerge]1596655850[/automerge]
IMG_0853.jpgHere it is the number I mean

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have used the horizontal Proteus boards on a number of occasions where space was tight, and yes they are of very poor build quality. BUT.....they do the job once on the wall, and I've not had to go back to one yet.

Reply to Compact 3-phase DB solution needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net