Discuss Continuity test after Ring Circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the OP had the DIY badge all along? If so my eyes need testing and I think I was mixing him up with a different trainee.

@Neptune you've got more out of me that you normally would, and as you've perfectly demonstrated adding circuits yourself and not testing them before energising them is not safe. If it had been a metal appliance and not a drill then you or someone could be getting unpleasant shocks. The RCD is saving the day and these can stick.
Time to get some help in.
I am planning to purchase a tester for these types of situations. That’s the advice I had n an earlier post but wanted to share this particular issue to see what advice there may be.

Also, could I not split the ring into 2 radials and then test my drill to see which radial it trips? I could gradually increase the “good” radial until it reaches the problematic part of the circuit.
What you are proposing mate is called bang testing, you will eventually damage the circuit protective device to a point where it may not trip and then you’ll be in a world of pain, you need some proper testing equipment and someone to help you…..

Is the MFT 1553 the ultimate choice for me? I can see that Tim’s suggested a few devices in his recent post. I am happy to pay a bit more for something that will serve me well.

With this tester, is it the initial R readings that would identify such an issue? Would I then Plug this tester at each socket to determine which section of the ring the issue is at?

I would appreciate some guidance around this please. Thanks for your help.

The 1553 is definitely a good solid capable all round tester. It will do all dead tests (continuity and IR) and live tests (earth loop and RCD) to confirm something is fit for use.
Electrical testing is a complex subject and even new sparks don’t learn it initially. It’s not something a quick forum post can teach and must be done with great care. John Ward has made some good YouTube videos on the subject.

It’s not as simple as plugging into sockets, you’ll have to break the circuit down, initially into two and then see which leg has the fault and then continue tracking it down. It will be insulation resistance tests that are needed.

You might want to look at this thread

What am I missing without doing these tests and can any of these be done without buying the very expensive low ohm meters that electricians have?
The current range of Fluke 2 pole testers have a continuity range of 0 - 400kOhms. They are worse than useless for continuity checks on domestic wiring. At one end of the scale you could have a perfect connection, at the other you could have 2 (30A, 2.5mm2) radials connected by a 40kOhm resistance and you won't know the difference.

Specifications here

In the meantime, I have a ring main issue that you may be able to help me troubleshoot please. Here is some background:

This isn't surprising to me I'm sorry to say just by your previous questions. It seems you are dong a lot of electrical work which in my opinion is well beyond the limits of DIY and installing as you have and hoping for the best without doing the correct safety tests is a recipe for disaster. You are lucky that you only have some faults and not caused a fire or worse

I really wouldn't recommend buying an MFT because without the correct training which will give you the knowledge to understand the results and if they are acceptable and what to do about it if they aren't, then you are just wasting your money

Trying to install electrical systems step by step through a forum isn't a safe way to work with electricity and by your many questions it is obvious you don't have the knowledge to do it safely

Do you realise that installing new RFCs is notifiable work? How are you or who is notifying?

What you are proposing mate is called bang testing, you will eventually damage the circuit protective device to a point where it may not trip and then you’ll be in a world of pain, you need some proper testing equipment and someone to help you…..
Don't sink that low Mate, test properly, too many Cisco Kids pretending to be Electricians don't become one please

For less than the price of an MFT he could have skills, knowledge and experience on site for at least a morning. I'd bet most would find and fix his issue within 2 hours.
(Thinking about how long it takes to become comfortable testing, I agree it isn't logical to buy an MFT. I also can't imagine him not forging ahead though, and after an internal argument I thought it best he at least had access to some information about testing)

Thanks for the many helpful responses. I really appreciate it.

I’ve had to halve a ring previously to locate a break in continuity. I am famously with the concept.

I also have a plan for my testing and would welcome your constructive feedback please.

After purchasing an appropriate tester, I am ready to commence the testing. Properly! The MFT is my likely choice from what I’ve been reading above. Again, happy to pay a bit more if it provides some future proofing. Please let me know if you have any further recommendations.

1. Continuity / end-to-end tests
Whilst I thought that my earlier Fluke 2 pole tests were conclusive, @IzzyS post shows that it’s far from it!
This will be a dead test and I am familiar with the safe isolation process.
I will locate the 6 wires for my ring. I will initially do this with the ‘good’ ring and then the ‘bad’ one. I will also ensure that everything is unplugged and the FCU is bypassed.
Here I plan to do the r1, rn and r2 tests. On the “good” ring I expect the r1 and r2 to be the same (Within 0.05) and the r2 will be 1.7 times higher due to the higher resistance of the smaller CSA. The readings for r1 and rn should be less than 1 ohm and determined by the length of cable in the ring. I don’t anticipate any issues with the “good” ring but when I do this with the “bad” ring, I think I will get a different reading for r1 and rn/r2. Even after taking into account the expected uplift for r2. The problematic reading shouldn’t be an open circuit/infinity as the fluke tester detected a closed circuit but it’s probably going to be a high reading. I think this indicates a short circuit or a loose connection?
I should now be in fault finding mode…
My plan is to split the ring into 2 radials by breaking the ring (cables disconnected and hanging mid air for the mid socket in ring) and on the CU end will have the first leg of the (now) radial in terminal block. I can then test at the break point of the ring and see if I get a high/low reading. If this leg is fine, I move on to the other and repeat the process. This should have a fault (unless I am unlucky to have multiple faults!). This is where I will need to continue halving until I’ve narrowed down where the problem is. I can then inspect the back of the socket or even try bypassing this section to see what the overall r readings look like.
I would appreciate your comments on the above as I’ve got my head wrapped around this approach if it’s the most suitable way to proceed.

2. Once the above is fixed, I am ready for the cross connection tests: R1+Rn and R1+R2
The expected results can be calculated from the above r readings.
This is where we create the figure of 8 across different wires of each leg. L from one side connected to N of the other side and the same for the other legs of the ring. This creates an infinite loop. I can then measure resistance at all and any point and it should be the same. Unless it’s a spur.

3. Repeat the above for L and CPC

I am not anticipating issues with 2 and 3 as I’ve checked the route of the ring using a wonder lead and my fluke continuity function.

My main issue is likely to be the first tests. I think…

Thanks in advance.

I’m not going to comment line by line on your exposition, but will simply say that the continuity tests need doing, but are less likely to help you fault find.
Insulation Resistance tests will more than likely be where you can see evidence of the fault and track it down.

morning pete. not seen youmuch. how's life?

Me too, how's life Pete. Still gambling on
tools tart. Just bought a nice new Stanley
Tool box too throw my crap in.
There is nothing like good tool to drool
On like a kid in a candy shop.

I’m not going to comment line by line on your exposition, but will simply say that the continuity tests need doing, but are less likely to help you fault find.
Insulation Resistance tests will more than likely be where you can see evidence of the fault and track it down.
Am I right in thinking that the continuity tests are a prerequisite for the IR tests? Also, if we have a screw or something of that ilk smashed into one of the conductors, would you not expect the continuity test to provide a lower (perhaps a 0?) reading? In any event the live conductors would have different readings and hence indicate an issue. That's what I was anticipating.

On IR testing, if we have a short, I am expecting a reading of less that 1 (probably 0?) and that's when I move in to the halving method to locate the issue. Is that the general approach?

Thanks for your help.

Am I right in thinking that the continuity tests are a prerequisite for the IR tests?
Doing things in the right order has long gone out of the window for your install!
You are right that it would be normal to do continuity tests first. Whether or not any IR testing is also done at first fix, IR testing must be done when the installation is 'assembled' to pick up any damaged / trapped / snagged wires.
Also, if we have a screw or something of that ilk smashed into one of the conductors, would you not expect the continuity test to provide a lower (perhaps a 0?) reading?
Maybe but this will vary according to the nature of the fault. Hence why I'd personally dive straight to the test that will definitely show it up.
On IR testing, if we have a short, I am expecting a reading of less that 1 (probably 0?) and that's when I move in to the halving method to locate the issue. Is that the general approach?
Yes. A healthy new cable should be hundreds or even thousands of Mohms.

A few more questions on this please Tim:
  • Can I remove USB sockets with 32amp junction boxes for the purposes of the IR test?
  • Do FCU's that are on the ring and not a spur need to be removed? The neon is on load and can be switched off
  • If we have continuity as part of earlier tests, when doing the IR test for L and E (or the other conductors), does it matter which leg of the ring you use the L and E from? I assume not but was mindful of the other end of the leg hanging mid air at this point:
Continuity test after Ring Circuit 1655206164473 - EletriciansForums.net
- If there are failures, we can use the halving method and I can gradually increase the working leg of the ring to see where the failure appears. At this point, I could either replace the cable or convert the ring into two radials powered by a 20amp breaker. Is that a valid approach?

This is not a step by step guide to testing. Testing should be carried out by competent persons or by persons under supervision of a competent person. I have no idea if this is linked to your other threads which follow the same theme of step by step guidance.

This is not a step by step guide to testing. Testing should be carried out by competent persons or by persons under supervision of a competent person. I have no idea if this is linked to your other threads which follow the same theme of step by step guidance.
Wasn’t asking for a step by step guide to be honest. Just the above questions in addition to the detail and understanding I’ve already set out. I’m not an expert but comfortable with my understanding and the fact that this is a dead test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Continuity test after Ring Circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock