Discuss Cooker switches with integral socket - Wiring of... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SimesT

I haven't wired a cooker switch with a socket before. Do I connect the socket off the 6mm cable for the switch (all on 32A MCBO) or should I take a separate supply for the socket eg off a ring as a spur. No useful instructions on the handy bit of paper with it (do they every say anything that tells you anything??)

Hi,

I'm with Murdoch and Midwest on this one, I really don't see the problem; if there is one.
Assuming you are talking about an integral cooker switch with socket?

Regards.

the op is asking whether he can just link from the cooker switch to the socket which is INTEGRAL with the cooker switch. or does he have to take another separate feed from the ring main?

I guess the problem is you think the Cooker will want all 32A (7360W) were the Socket will demand 0-13A (0-2990W) leaving the cooker with ONLY 19A (4370W) with a Oven taking about 2200W still leaves a Hob with 2170W. And this is you using EVERY THING, and if you do use EVERY THING it will just trip.

Question is Asked because someone dosnt understand or it wasn't explained correctly, it is not up to any one to mock them for asking. If one Person asked there maybe MANY more who were too scared to asked. Bet some of us know that feeling from class, Why the hell do we spell it CAT, why not KAT and MANY MANY other words I wanted to complain about Y, O Y!

Question is Asked because someone dosnt understand or it wasn't explained correctly, it is not up to any one to mock them for asking. Y!

Aww come on, he's opened the packet, read the instructions and presumably actually looked at the back of the cooker switch.
If he hasn't managed to count the number of terminals on it by now then what help can we really be?

i think, from the OP that he thought that the socket should be wired separately. spot on qualification to start as a kitchen fitter.

Well, I have to say, I was expecting a bit more help with this. I know about the diverstiy for cookers (although I can see times when everything on a cooker might be on - so might err on the side of caution there anyway). Would I need a separate feed to the socket, (either dedicated or a spur off a ring)?
Thanks for comprehending thecquestion Assegayer!

There used to be a quite commonly used vertical 2 gang cooker switch with single socket at the bottom [Nettle ?] and the feed to the socket was actually single cores on the back of it as the socket had completely seperate terminals, I've changed a couple that have gone wrong and with the flush wall box being vertical the only easy option is a 2 gang 45a DP switch so the socket is no more.:D

If I apply diversity for the cooker then, there is another 5A if there is an integral socket. I get that. If it's integral to the body of the sw but not integrally wired, surely it can be wired in parallel with the same size cable? Still this feels wrong to me, so I'd still appreciate some useful wisdom!

Im a bit worried to say any thing here as i can see you are getting a bit ****ed off with things.

I dont like the Cooker Diversity myself .. i dont even like ONE DIRECTION so NAA to you ONE DIRECTION FANS..

Do note i am Guessing a lot of the time what the Question is asking and what it might be asking..
If i turn off the cooker to work on it, could i get a shock. If the socket side of the Cooker/Socket has another circuit coming in to it .. then yes..
So The Cooker MCB controls the electricity within the Cooker/Socket, (NB Ive not done one of these) if the Socket needs wiring up then you can just Link it over, in ANY dam size you want from 10mm - 2.5mm to the said socket.

Ta Duane, that makes sense to me. Cant really understand why socket has separate terminals in that case!
Perhaps its just easier to manufacture...

Reply to Cooker switches with integral socket - Wiring of... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net