Discuss DC-DC Optimisers in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BruceB

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have recently put in my first Solar Edge installation and was quite pleased with its apparent ability to cope with shading.

It led me to think about my own installation at home, 8+kW on a Sunny Tripower. The panels are not in an ideal place because of restrictions from being listed and it means that some are shaded for the winter months. I thought originally I would just bite the bullet and take a hit during the winter months, but now think I may be able to better than that. Sadly, the Tripowers do not have Optitrac Global Peak built into their firmware. I have seen reference here to Tigo optimisers, which look like they might fit the bill. I do not know whether you can use solar edge optimisers with non-Solar Edge inverters, which could be an alternative. I appreciate you would not get the data out but perhaps the dc-dc optimiser part would work anyway? I have sent an email to Solar Edge. Anyway, questions about Tigo:

- Has anyone here used Tigo optimisers? Would you recommend them? Is there a UK supplier you would recommend?

- Can you put them behind just the panels that get shaded or do you need to kit out the unshaded panels in the string as well?

- Any other manufacturers selling this type of product here?

Regards
Bruce

Bruce, this has been mentioned on here, sorry I can not find the post, but it did say that DC optimisers can be used with different inverters.
Have a look on their websites.

I hope this helps.

Hey Bruce,

This is the thread about solar edge and their compatability.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/photovoltaic-solar-panels-green-energy-forum/51781-solar-edge.html

You asked about panels and optimisers.
You have to wire the optimsers through the strings to your inverter so it depends on if you have your shaded panels on a different string to the others. If you have then you can.

You will however need the following:-

1. A power supply in loft for control box.
2. An internet connection.
3. A spare LAN port on your router to hard wire control box to internet.
4. Cat 5 cable to wire from control box to a gateway that sits behind panels inside loft.
5. Depending on your panels you may have to fix optimisers to your rails instead of back of panels. (Or you could mount optimisers inside loft like i do with Enecsys micri inversters)
6. Register system online with tigo (takes about an hour depending on size of system)

Try this Bruce:- http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?2acf3784-9c2b
Its one of my instals and might give you an idea of what you can see. Its not full access so i dont know actually what you will see but i hope it helps.

http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?e93922b4-1d5e

This is another one that i am finishing tomorrow. 153 panels which took 7 hours just to design the panel layout and many calls to the USA to sort out a few issues.

I also have some photos at work if you are interested.

I also have a phone number for a guy in the UK who works for Tigo which would save you calling California for any help or advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiador, Would you care to recommend a UK supplier/prices for Tigo? PM if you prefer or meet in the Sun Lounge.

Sorry Bruce but i dont have anything to do with that side of things.
The first thing i knew about Tigo was when i turned up on site and it was waiting for me!

Also happened with Enecsys and now i come to think of it Solar Edge was thrust on me upon arrival.

I will try to speak to boss today and find out any info i can for you.

Reply to DC-DC Optimisers in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net