Discuss Dewalt Electricians Stapler in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

ferg

Electrician's Arms
Has anyone used one of these?

I was thinking of getting one but would like to hear opinions of others first.

TIA. :)

Zerax

Regular EF Member
No experience myself... but I imagine that they'd be great for fixing onto timber, but crap at everything else...

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
If the tool is going to make your life easier and shorten your day then it's worth investing in, check the price on the consumables though as it may be restrictive, if you are self employed then it is tax deduct-able.

Also check the weight of the tool to see if you can work with it for long periods.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
@ £300, think i'll give it a miss.
Agree to expensive, plus you would never get a decent clipping job with one of those monstrosities in my opinion, still doubt if that will worry todays crop of 5wws.

rolyberkin

Electrician's Arms
Agree to expensive, plus you would never get a decent clipping job with one of those monstrosities in my opinion, still doubt if that will worry todays crop of 5wws.
Pete, how can you give an opinion re the clipping ability if you have never used one? Also where is the relevance or link to so called 5ww's, do all 5ww's in your opinion not worry about clipping or just generally like Dewalt tools? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

OP
ferg

ferg

Electrician's Arms
I already have the batteries as all my other kit is Dewalt.
So that brings it down to about £200

Clips work out at about 3p each.

I agree that it won't be as pretty to look at Pete but I am perfectly capable of deciding when would be an appropriate time to use it or not.

Edit.

In fairness to Pete I did ask for opinions. :D

Zerax

Regular EF Member
I have a little hand stapler for telephone/alarm cable... makes a lovely neat job of tacking along skirtings etc...

rolyberkin

Electrician's Arms
I quite fancy one, also have dewalt tools so have the batteries (I am not a 5WW though!:) Been down the pub so Petes post did make me laugh!:tearsofjoy:

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Pete, how can you give an opinion re the clipping ability if you have never used one? Also where is the relevance or link to so called 5ww's, do all 5ww's in your opinion not worry about clipping or just generally like Dewalt tools? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Oh but I have used one and frankly find them cumbersome, and if I'm honest useless, part of the art of being an Electrician is being able to clip and dress cables in the correct way, using a staple gun, although it may be the in thing is it the right thing to do?
I suppose it is in these times, clipping cables of any sort is an art, not to be confused with stapling a cable to a joist or whatever, still I suppose un the time of fast track trades art goes out the window, I'm sorry if my post doesn't agree with your way of working, but hey hoe we are all different and have our own opinions, you probably know mine already.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
As with any tooling and fixing method they have their pros and cons.

For the odd single cable run then get the hammer out, multiple cables along very long runs I think these would look quite neat as the staples are quite discreet.

1/2 a dozen T&Es next to each other would look neater stapled than using standard clips IMHO.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
As with any tooling and fixing method they have their pros and cons.

For the odd single cable run then get the hammer out, multiple cables along very long runs I think these would look quite neat as the staples are quite discreet.

1/2 a dozen T&Es next to each other would look neater stapled than using standard clips IMHO.
Would need convincing about that Strima do you have any pictorial evidence?
I have a little hand stapler for telephone/alarm cable... makes a lovely neat job of tacking along skirtings etc...
Agree but how would it look if you had multiple cables, be thet Telephone or LV cables clipped to a visible surface, not very pretty I should think.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Would need convincing about that Strima do you have any pictorial evidence
Not to hand no, that's why I said in my opinion... :D

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Lol Pete give me a clue.. don't make me drag it out of you. :D
Drag it out of me what do you mean? I'll lay it out as I see it then, Personally I don't like them. I think they take the skill out of presenting a neat job, I'm all for advancement, but in this case I don't agree, OK for house bashing I suppose, but for a prestige job, no thank you very much, I think cables can be damaged if used in the wrong hands, OK for clipping a few cables in the training workshop as an example, but in the real world no thanks, you can't beat a killed tradesman using traditional skills, if I have laid myself open to abuse then so be it, can't be any more explicit than that can I? I hate the things, end of.
I have laid out my objections/thoughts you have asked me to explain these thoughts, now it's tour turn to convince me otherwise, over to you, as you said you didn't want to "drag it out of me"

Last edited:
OP
ferg

ferg

Electrician's Arms
I was more asking about what it was about the grip on the cables and the single size of the staples that you didn't like.

I am genuinely interested in what you have to say on the subject and appreciate your input so far. :)

NDG Elecs

Electrician's Arms
I have just been looking at a YouTube review of it. I largely agree with Pete on this. The single size of staple width will rarely allow a neat looking run in my view.
For new build sparks I think it could be a good idea for cables that will be largely hidden.
The vid I saw showed that on most cable sizes the cable(s) were able to be pulled back and forth fairly freely after being stapled and it suggested giving the occasional staple a knock with a hammer to get them more secure.

Last edited:
OP
ferg

ferg

Electrician's Arms
It arrived today while I was out hammering in boxes of clips that no-one will ever see or care about. :(

On the plus side I had a little play with it and it will do just nicely for lofts and stuff not on show.

I tried my best to damage a cable with it and failed miserably :D

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
It arrived today while I was out hammering in boxes of clips that no-one will ever see or care about. :(

On the plus side I had a little play with it and it will do just nicely for lofts and stuff not on show.

I tried my best to damage a cable with it and failed miserably :D
Turn it 90 degrees....... and try harder......

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
I also have one I procured when I was still an apprentice. Mine also does a lovely neat job of stapling through the cable sheath and causing difficult to find faults unless you're very very careful whilst you're using it.

Electrician Talk