Discuss Dilemma decision. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What a nice thread! :)

My neighbour is 86, her husband died 5 years ago. Lovely old lady. She enjoys taking in my parcels (as I'm always out) and occasionally feeding my cats and I do free electric work when she needs it. We never talk about money!

little jobs of kindness like this I don't charge for either whether its an old lady, military vet or local constable. also fire brigade.
safety classes are offered free of charge at senior centers, scout camps, and local schools

What a nice thread! :)

My neighbour is 86, her husband died 5 years ago. Lovely old lady. She enjoys taking in my parcels (as I'm always out) and occasionally feeding my cats and I do free electric work when she needs it. We never talk about money!

Nearly identical to me. My neighbour is in her mid 80s and also used to feed our cat when we were away. I have tried doing her free electrical work, but she always insists on paying as a matter of pride. "You've a family to feed and I've plenty of money" she says. Ask her for a fiver and she wont give me less than a twenty. :S

I wish we had a nice old neighbour!!! we just have a mad old Geordie who comes out waving his arms about and shouts at me when I put the wrong bin out!!! :troll:

I,ve done loads of bits for old people without charging,a common one used to be on the old wylex boards when fuses went,what I used to do was collect the mcb,s from wylex boards that had been replaced and fit them for the old people,that way they can just reset a breaker rather than rewire a fuse,I like to think that when I get old someone will help me when I get stuck.

i've done the same a few times. elderly customers, just ask for a tenner or so to drip some diesel in the van.

Interesting responses. Thanks Guys.
The problem is, I get at least 5 of these calls a week. My number seems be on some advice organisation's list of contractors they recommend to the elderly and infirm.

I can't run a business and earn a living working for what works out to be a whole day every week for just tea and biscuits.

So should I turn the work down?
Pass it on to someone else?
Find out which organisation(s) is/are recommending me and ask them not to?

I suspect I'm on the lists because I always respond, I have always managed to sort out or patch up the fault, I don't walk away leaving them without power saying "you need a rewire". I can only do this because it pays me to.

If it's got to be charity work then I could do one or two a week, if I have a quiet day, but I can't afford to turn down paid work to do freebies.

So given that there are at least 10 people above who would be happy to work for free, perhaps a few of them would like to add their number to the list?

in that case, i would find out the org. responsible and politely suggest that you are happy to do these call-outs at a discount from your usual rate, but you can't work for nowt.

Reply to Dilemma decision. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net