Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks, makes sense makes me think of electronics and Relays etc.
Just another word for a relay.... although contractors are combined relays.... to switch so many poles through one switch.
Also can use a 12v momentary push button to switch and hold in a 400v 3 phase load (like a motor) or as described above, a simple light switch turning on a much higher load than the switch itself could handle

Just another word for a relay.... although contractors are combined relays.... to switch so many poles through one switch.
Also can use a 12v momentary push button to switch and hold in a 400v 3 phase load (like a motor) or as described above, a simple light switch turning on a much higher load than the switch itself could handle
I didn't want to go totally off-topic just been trying to get a better understanding of DOL and there always wired in such a way that there latched providing undervoltage protection totally forgot really there just like relays and do what relays do, also never seen them used for anything but DOLs.
Doh..

In a way a relay and a contactor are the same - both use an electromagnet to operate the switch contacts. The difference is more of size and application.

As a general rule "contactors" are high current, say 20A and above, and usually single-throw (i.e. on/off only, but can be 2, 3, 4, etc poles that are simultaneously switched).

Relays come in all sorts of shapes & sizes and are generally low-medium current, so some have gold contacts for "dry" switching of signals in the microvolt / milliamp range, but most have some sort of silver alloy contacts for up to the low tens of amps range. Often relays are available in double-throw (i.e. change-over contact) configurations with commonly 1 or 2, sometimes 3, rarely 4, simultaneous sets of contacts.

Also some relays are magnetically latched so have typically two coils and you momentarily energise one to set it "on" and the other for "off" (but with changeover contacts that is really positions 1 & 2, etc).

As a general rule relays are used in control circuits and contactors are used to switch loads.
Generally contactors provide simple switching with limited or no function beyond a simple make/break when the coil is energized, but they can have current ratings in the hundreds of amps.

Relays can provide all manner of functions for control, protection, sensing, latching, timing etc etc, and generally are rated for lower currents (usually in t

However there is no actual definition or hard and fast rule to what the difference is.
Relays can and do exist with current ratings in the hundreds of amps, and some contactors can incorporate timing or latching functions etc etc.

davesparks raises anther aspect: often the term "relay" is used more generally in electrical engineering (rather than electronics) as a control block element, not just as an electromagnetic switch.

So timers, phase loss protection, etc, are all often described as relays because they switch on something else happening.

i have implanted relays in my head. 4 of them.

1. clicks in when it's time to get up.
2 . clicks in when it's time for bed.
3. tells me when it's time for beer.
4. tells me it's not yet time to die.

i love electronics.

Let’s hope no4 doesn’t get a loose connection
no chance. there are too many people i still got to annoy. anyway, as i see it, i got to survive till 87 to recover all the taxes i've paid for 60 years, through the state pension.

i have implanted relays in my head. 4 of them.

1. clicks in when it's time to get up.
2 . clicks in when it's time for bed.
3. tells me when it's time for beer.
4. tells me it's not yet time to die.

i love electronics.
Bet it’s a messy day if 1 & 3 get connected arse about face ?

Last edited:
Contactors are used where you don't want, or can't have, the full load running through a switch, or when multiple circuits need to be switched by a single device.
As in this case where four (?) separate high current loads are being switched by the one photocell. There's two contactors here because the ones used are only 3 pole - there are some with 4 poles, but often the 4th pole is relatively low current and used just for the hold-in circuit.
BTW - you can get a variety of add-ons for many contactors. Auxiliary contacts that clip on the side, delay relays (used to be pneumatic, I suspect some are electronic these days) that clip on the front and can be used for sequencing (e.g. start one motor, after a delay, start the second), interlocks that mechanically prevent two pulling in at the same time (e.g. for reversing or star-delta circuits). There's a lot of things you can do beyond simply switching on and off.

Went to price up for remedials today, 3L1 RCBO failed to trip when tested.

Easy enough I'll just replace it, then I saw this on site, no mention of damage to 3L2 and signs of water damage down the right hand side of the board. Luckily just external lighting so no major risk to life...

I think the water tank in the room above had sprung a leak at some point.

IMG_0944.jpg

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock