Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Does this apply to the entire joist - ie. if it is notched anywhere along the top, it shouldn't be notched anywhere along the bottom?

I don't think a notch deep enough to sink a 1mm cable in is going to be much of a concern toward weakening a joist.

Last edited:
Clearly the installer didn't do any testing and mixed up the feed in and out to a shed in this log cabin. Interesting use of self adhesive trunking and for the feed in the house, a strange "tails" (inner conductors from a 10mm sheathed cable), earth and 30mA RCD arrangement instead of just coming out of the board above that already has a 30mA RCD main switch.

IMG_20220613_085603.jpg
IMG_20220613_091315.jpg
IMG_20220613_091326.jpg
IMG-20220605-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
You can tell Delboy didn't do it, as the trunking would have been neat.

What earthing system has it ?

Love the rcd isolator, makes it much safer, eh !.

You can tell Delboy didn't do it, as the trunking would have been neat.
I was thinking of Delboy when I saw all that wonky trunking. I was thinking "no electrician done that!"
What earthing system has it ?
It's PME, but the property is very rural and supplied by an overhead cable. It probably used to be TT.
Love the rcd isolator, makes it much safer, eh !.
Sure does, in the event of a fault they'll both trip so it's doubly safe!

I was thinking of Delboy when I saw all that wonky trunking. I was thinking "no electrician done that!"

It's PME, but the property is very rural and supplied by an overhead cable. It probably used to be TT.

Sure does, in the event of a fault they'll both trip so it's doubly safe!
What size i assume swa 3 core ?

Is the PME exported ?

Yeah, 3 core 10mm SWA

It is. The structure is all wood and there are no extraneous conductive parts (and no gas or water in there either). It's only a short run as the cabin is about 10 feet from the house.
I can't really understand why they didn't gland into the CU rather than leave the single insulation.

I can't really understand why they didn't gland into the CU rather than leave the single insulation.
Me neither, none of it makes sense. I can only assume that because he used a 20mm knockout and grommet in the bottom of the board that a 10mm with the sheath on wouldn't fit through the hole, so he removed the sheath. Adding another RCD as an isolator when you've just come out of a board off an MCB with RCD protection is baffling, shows a lack of understanding of switchgear and selectivity.

Annoyingly, he hadn't quite left enough on that cable for me to take it into the board directly and for it to reach all the terminals, so I ended up putting a box directly below the CU to join it (and taking the earth through the board instead of it just dangling). Looks a bit neater now.

I should have taken more photos. Bizarrely, in the next room, he clipped that 10mm cable all around the top of the plastered wall just below the ceiling. The one place where trunking would have been an acceptable thing to use and he doesn't, yet he slaps horrible trunking all over the inside of the cabin on wood so the owner now has goo to remove where I've ripped it all out.

(Edit: It's probably not clear from the photo - it's 10mm twin and earth from the board, there's a junction box in the next room where it switches to armoured).

Last edited:
Doing a EICR prior to a CU change and was flummoxed as to why I had a break in continuity on a Ring.

Went round the property checked every single socket. Couldnā€™t see a problem. Asked customer if theyā€™d had any work done and said nothing electrical no.

So ended up going back this week to spend the day trying to work out where the problem was.

Went up in the loft and was tracing the circuit around and notice there was an unusual diversion down to the airing cupboard.

Checked in there and nothing doing apart from the old switched fused spur for the immersion. Which wasnā€™t on the ring circuit.

Asked customer where the immersion had gone and they said it had been moved to the back of the utility in an unused alcove as they had a new tank fitted ready for me to install a solar diverter (which they had yet to ask me about).

So thought Iā€™d just go and have a look and found this nicely positioned socket behind the tank, and Sodā€™s Law was the one that had the break in it.

So 6hrs wasted (3 of which was getting at the socket to rectify the issue) But it killed two birds with one stone as I converted it to a fused spur with flex outlet to run the solar iBoost from and restored the ring continuity.

All I can say is thank god I had the Wera Tool Check Plus as even my stubby slim screwdrivers were two big to get at the screws.

iBoost worked great once installed however. So a happy ending.

CFB9C7CA-E00A-4390-9DB9-AAFB0D8D7239.jpeg
827E3015-9CE0-40A0-9347-8EBCD94645E6.jpeg

Doing a EICR prior to a CU change and was flummoxed as to why I had a break in continuity on a Ring.

Went round the property checked every single socket. Couldnā€™t see a problem. Asked customer if theyā€™d had any work done and said nothing electrical no.

So ended up going back this week to spend the day trying to work out where the problem was.

Went up in the loft and was tracing the circuit around and notice there was an unusual diversion down to the airing cupboard.

Checked in there and nothing doing apart from the old switched fused spur for the immersion. Which wasnā€™t on the ring circuit.

Asked customer where the immersion had gone and they said it had been moved to the back of the utility in an unused alcove as they had a new tank fitted ready for me to install a solar diverter (which they had yet to ask me about).

So thought Iā€™d just go and have a look and found this nicely positioned socket behind the tank, and Sodā€™s Law was the one that had the break in it.

So 6hrs wasted (3 of which was getting at the socket to rectify the issue) But it killed two birds with one stone as I converted it to a fused spur with flex outlet to run the solar iBoost from and restored the ring continuity.

All I can say is thank god I had the Wera Tool Check Plus as even my stubby slim screwdrivers were two big to get at the screws.

iBoost worked great once installed however. So a happy ending.

View attachment 98800View attachment 98801

You did well getting into that and sorting the connections.

You did well getting into that and sorting the connections.

I wouldnā€™t do it again. It was only because it was going to save me the hassle of chasing in a cable for the solar iBoost supply. Next time Iā€™ll just either break the ring into two radials and disable the socket. Or, if possible, disable the socket and rejoin the ring in a wago box if I can.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock