Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

It was indeed ABHORRENT!
Some might argue that as an apostrophe denotes something missing (as opposed to the possessive, which it also does, in context) then pic's is simply an abbreviation of "picTUREs". However, IMHO, in current usage, the abbreviation should be pics, ie plural of "pic". The language evolves...
My favourite example,which has variations, is "fo'c's'le".
Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
It was indeed ABHORRENT!
Some might argue that as an apostrophe denotes something missing (as opposed to the possessive, which it also does, in context) then pic's is simply an abbreviation of "picTUREs". However, IMHO, in current usage, the abbreviation should be pics, ie plural of "pic". The language evolves...

Like 'bus' - this was originally 'omnibus' and later abbreviated to 'bus. But nobody uses the apostrophe now. As you say, language evolves.

loz2754

-
Arms
It was indeed ABHORRENT!
My favourite example,which has variations, is "fo'c's'le".
Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?
I knew somebody would suggest that as a possible correct usage. But I concur that "pics" is a plural form of "pic".
It was abhorrently aberrant!

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
I wondered why N & L3 IR test on generator incoming connections was around 400M but everything else is above 1G. Went to connect a temporary lead to the external box to energize for rest of tests and discovered it was surprisingly damp. This shows the roof of the box!

Not sure where the water is getting in, but trying to at least have a way for it to get out now.

Attachments

• water-in-generator-box.jpg
    water-in-generator-box.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 62

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
damp air getting in and condensing.
Thing is the similar box for the mains incoming supply is completely dry. Also both boxes have some venting in to the main building via the 50mm conduit hole you see the cables going through (ends up in 100x100m trunking, etc) so they are not really sealed.

It is possible it is fixing screws that are not completely sealed, or the door hinges (they bolt on from outside the door gasket). Also the door lip had a slight dent with the seamed are welded but the gasket seem soft enough to compress in to that.

Will see if i can get a pressure washer on site again and strategically soak it to find out!

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.