Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On a recent EICR and CU upgrade the 30a rewireable for the shower also isolated the garage,gas boiler and cooker hood ! Luckily it was soon found that someone had shoved a 2.5mm in with the shower 6mm within the old Wylex. So a new and slightly unusual 20amp radial was created. :)

That was the fastest Sticky Thread in history! This should be fun for all of us. (ps I like your rules DW)

This is a house I was working on today, came across this. One word describes it,,,,,, FAIL

View attachment 28498

Just after taking that I knock a full box of washers and screws behind the cooker and had to pull it out to get them. Needed them or would not have bothered.

Great thread, post them pictures up lads.

View attachment 28498
Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong here, is it that the cooker is plugged in to a socket instead of a dedicated circuit of it's own? I'm a trainee, still learning. Cheers

Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong here, is it that the cooker is plugged in to a socket instead of a dedicated circuit of it's own? I'm a trainee, still learning. Cheers

Regulations stipulate placement of outlet in relation to cooker. It may be that the load is fine on a 13A plug (or it may not be), but consider the effects of heat and condensation.

I'm also a lowly trainee, so others may be able to add more to this.

Last edited:
The perfect cable-warmer was created between heating pipe and once-halogen downlight, then squished into notched joists relying on the board screws to dress the cables so they 'fit'.
1678128984237.png

1678129028638.png

Curious @timhoward what will the remedy be? And I'm not trying to turn it ito a debate!
It was already a lighting rewire as IR of zero on lighting circuits with everything outside disconnected. Every fitting inside has a hidden joint box above it so no easy way to break down circuits.
And it was already a new rfc for new kitchen.
As the sockets IR is around 7M and there are lots of joint boxes (mostly installed by plumber I think) and customer wants sockets moved and new sockets added it’s basically become a complete rewire. Lifting the boards confirmed we made the right call.
I might keep the cooker circuit as that seems to be in perfect condition.

I worked as a subby on student let refurb, converting from 3 bed terraced house to 5 bed student house. Your pics reminded me. The house was probably 2-300 years old. The muck/dust in the floor/ceiling voids was something else, like grey soot. Place was completely gutted. Learnt to wait until the plumbers fitted their pipework, before we did our job. The only criticisms I had was locating the CU high up by the front door. Testing was a nightmare, have to keep getting off steps to let trades pass.

Good luck.

Notching the joints was the plumbers way, and I think electricians back then followed suit, and probably still do to a certain degree, as sometimes needs must.

Brings back memories though of live nails poking out the floor, or the missus shouting up the stairs that there's water dripping from the ceiling.

If that wiring was staying, I would notch some nail plates into the floor board, better than having to junction box the cables just to divert them through some joist weakening holes.

Last edited:
I wonder if the cowboy that did this lot will come back for his cigarettes!

Top tips I've taken from this job:

1. If you ever run out of fuse wire. Just use some copper instead.....
2. Can't be arsed to wire a circuit properly? Just borrow a neutral from within the CU and cut the live & CPC off
3. Pesky water bond getting in the way? Just cut it off....
4. Lost the screws to the consumer unit cover... just use socket screws and break the mounting point.
5. Broke the cover of your CU? Hold it together with some tape.

IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_0175.jpeg
IMG_0198.jpeg
IMG_0194.jpeg
IMG_0195.jpeg
IMG_0197.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
I wonder if the cowboy that did this lot will come back for his cigarettes!

Top tips I've taken from this job:

1. If you ever run out of fuse wire. Just use some copper instead.....
2. Can't be arsed to wire a circuit properly? Just borrow a neutral from within the CU and cut the live & CPC off
3. Pesky water bond getting in the way? Just cut it off....
4. Lost the screws to the consumer unit cover... just use socket screws and break the mounting point.
5. Broke the cover of your CU? Hold it together with some tape.

View attachment 106631View attachment 106632View attachment 106633View attachment 106635View attachment 106636View attachment 106637View attachment 106639
View attachment 106634
That is atrocious - the wire should be wound clockwise under the fuse screws ! :) I bet the cig packet was empty ? :)

I worked as a subby on student let refurb, converting from 3 bed terraced house to 5 bed student house. Your pics reminded me. The house was probably 2-300 years old. The muck/dust in the floor/ceiling voids was something else, like grey soot. Place was completely gutted. Learnt to wait until the plumbers fitted their pipework, before we did our job. The only criticisms I had was locating the CU high up by the front door. Testing was a nightmare, have to keep getting off steps to let trades pass.

Good luck.
It's always the way, as soon as you're on a steps just inside a doorway it turns into the pedestrian equivalent of the M25. :)

It's always the way, as soon as you're on a steps just inside a doorway it turns into the pedestrian equivalent of the M25. :)
The last time I was in that situation, a lady cleaner brushed herself against me as she went by and said, " You will have to marry me now" her face reminded me of a woodcutters bench btw :)

The last time I was in that situation, a lady cleaner brushed herself against me as she went by and said, " You will have to marry me now" her face reminded me of a woodcutters bench btw :)

Haven't heard that phrase for ages. My favourite is 'like a bulldog licking p---- off a nettle'

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock