Discuss Does this carbon monoxide install meet regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI I have just had a carbon monoxide allarm fitted by the local Housing Association and he has wired it to the back of a light switch and trunked it up the wall. The house has a dedicated smoke alarm circuit and a alarm the other side of that wall but he has chosen to bodged it on the back of a light switch.
Does this meet regs.
IMG_0956.jpg

HI I have just had a carbon monoxide allarm fitted by the local Housing Association and he has wired it to the back of a light switch and trunked it up the wall. The house has a dedicated smoke alarm circuit and a alarm the other side of that wall but he has chosen to bodged it on the back of a light switch.
Does this meet regs.
View attachment 99679
That install requires a MNWI CERT were you issued with a copy?

It's not against regs (sort of - see below), it looks awful to me aesthetically though.

As long as it is either on a lighting circuit or a dedicated circuit either is ideal.

However, in operation if it is not the only CO detector, it should be interlinked to all other CO detectors, thus the alarm is transmitted throughout the building (not a legal requirement for retrofit in England, but is in Scotland)

If it is the only CO detector, then it either should not be interlinked with other (fire/smoke,) alarms, or should be linked in such a way to provide a different alarm to fire/smoke. (Such that the people can identify if it's fire - close doors and windows, but open everything for CO)

In fact, in England, the only legal requirement for a CO alarm in rented accommodation is in a room with a wood burning appliance. It is not required to be interlinked, nor is it required to be mains powered. (Though this is due to change soon I believe, with the introduction of new legislation).

On the matter of the tenant being issued with a copy of any certification, only the person ordering the work (the housing association) is entitled to one.
Unless it's for an EICR in Private Rented accommodation. Housing associations are not currently included in the PRS 2020 regulations.

And yes, it's a total eyesore!

OP is in Oxford, so scottish rules dont apply.

Be thankful they are using good quality detectors.... but agree it could be neater.

Being a rented house.... the HA arent looking at tidy... they just want it done cheap and cheerful.

As above, check for metal clips inside the trunking (sorry... "fire resistant")... the lid should easily unclip, and be able to be pressed back on. The detector should also be a certain distance from the wall... The Aico website will have installation instructions.

Reply to Does this carbon monoxide install meet regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net