Discuss DOL starter 415V coil in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know you can become blind to an obvious mistake if you look at it for too long but your meter doesn't! Surely a continuity test across pairs of (dead) supply lines will tell you what is being shorted and when, if you check both by pressing the start button and by pushing the contactor in by hand. Then you will know if it is in the main circuit or the control. If that doesn't narrow it down enough.... post pics!

i would disconnect link from A1 to blue phase and operate start button with power on to see if it takes out supply.this should start to narrow it down.

i would disconnect link from A1 to blue phase and operate start button with power on to see if it takes out supply.this should start to narrow it down.

No no no!!!
You're proposing blowing out a box of fuses until you find the fault! :smilielol5:
I think I'd go with Lucien's advice.

operate start button with power on to see if it takes out supply.

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm around for faultfinding with live tests. Inverter drive lacking torque - probably necessary. DOL starter blowing fuses - probably not! Should be able to spot the problem in 3 minutes with an AVO...

I still have my old avo...............probs well over 50yr old now cos it was old when I 'acquired' it :)

mmmmmmmm................e-bay or antiques roadshow is the question?

Sorted out lads, turned out to be a fault on the control transformer. 415v to 115/24.

Thanks for all the help lads, took a wee bit of head scratching and looking at it too long then realised where the fault was.

I still have my old avo...............probs well over 50yr old now cos it was old when I 'acquired' it :)

mmmmmmmm................e-bay or antiques roadshow is the question?

I still have an AVO EFLI meter. I've never had one problem with it, so simple and reliable and tough!...unlike the megger which is in for repair AGAIN!. I don't rate them at all any more.

Sorted out lads, turned out to be a fault on the control transformer. 415v to 115/24.

Thanks for all the help lads, took a wee bit of head scratching and looking at it too long then realised where the fault was.

Im totally lost now you explained fully how the set-up was wired ...2 contactors, overloads, and control 400v on A1 / A2 via the start stop buttons....
You also said when energised it went bang when the start button was pressed.... ???

Where the hell did the transformer come from and you say its for control 115/24 ..... i though we were on 400v control and surely the 'control' transformer is energised on power up thus the fuses will have blown on power up not after the start button has been hit....

Have i totally missed something here what you just described has nothing to do with your thread opening post so we really had little chance of nailing the problem for you.

Last edited:

What exactly is your definition of 'fault on the control transformer' ?
Wiring it up wrong isn't a fault mate :)

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly is your definition of 'fault on the control transformer' ?
Wiring it up wrong isn't a fault mate :)

Wow............double slap in the face soz for that !!

Me thinks it was a schoolboy error with a cover story ...totally contradicted his original opening post.... we all have these moments me included but its takes the mick when the solution don't relate to any other post he's wrote .... ..so either he's covering up or just wasted our time with lack of or misguided infomation.

Just saw this, perhaps the fault on the control transformer was that it was still on the wholesaler's shelf until post #16

Yes very funny Marvo, your photoshop work is OK up to a point but the BANANA plugs seem to be missing from the test leads (no, I am not suggesting you invest any more time :)

Reply to DOL starter 415V coil in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net