Discuss Early Days of Being Self-Employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

No surprises here but EV CHARGING!!
it amazes me the number of people who dont install them... all to often i hear sparks say they dont install them as they dont understand it.. aren't approved etc... well get in and get skilled up so you are established before others.
do the manufacturers training.... its free... register with them and get your OZEV registration. only really need it until March when a lot of changes happen to the grants..
you will over a month or two start getting leads from the manufacturers for free. you are 70% there in these jobs, just submit sensible quote to customer and you got yourself a nice 250-300 profit for a simple job.
a website is key with a page about ev charging ozev grants etc... so google finds it... I get several jobs a month from my website and google searches.... It took me around 18 months to get where I am now with ev charging and I am installing upwards of 15 a month...
your best friend is a reputable letting agent who will pay the real price for a real EICR as they can keep the cash flow good and provide lots of regular work.

No surprises here but EV CHARGING!!
it amazes me the number of people who dont install them... all to often i hear sparks say they dont install them as they dont understand it.. aren't approved etc... well get in and get skilled up so you are established before others.
do the manufacturers training.... its free... register with them and get your OZEV registration. only really need it until March when a lot of changes happen to the grants..
you will over a month or two start getting leads from the manufacturers for free. you are 70% there in these jobs, just submit sensible quote to customer and you got yourself a nice 250-300 profit for a simple job.
a website is key with a page about ev charging ozev grants etc... so google finds it... I get several jobs a month from my website and google searches.... It took me around 18 months to get where I am now with ev charging and I am installing upwards of 15 a month...
your best friend is a reputable letting agent who will pay the real price for a real EICR as they can keep the cash flow good and provide lots of regular work.
with regards to EV charging, I agree with Gavin John Hyde,
I did an EV course 2 weeks ago, just waiting to be accepted on ozev.
at first I wasn't interested in EV charging, but I soon changed my mind. just waiting for my first install.
work for me has been really quiet for the past 6 months,
my friend who runs a similar business, has offered me a job installing fire ,nurse call, access control systems etc.
van ,fuel card.
the money isn't great, plus I would be working all over the UK and possibly Scotland.
I,m going to stick it out being self employed, have been for 15 years. self employment has its positives and negatives, but generally I wouldn't go back working for an employer.

I've just started out on my own coming into my 3rd month. The first month and half I was mega busy working 5 or 6 days every week and now I'm currently doing 2 or 3 jobs a week. My number has been passed on from clients I've worked for and I've spoken to a few builders and plumber I know. I've also ordered a load of leaflets that I can post on a street when I do a job and created my facebook so people can leave reviews.

What were other people's experiences starting out? How long did it take for the work to come in and what did you do to find it? At the moment it feels like a bit of a waiting a game for recommendations after the initial rush and just try to get my name out there
My first bit of advice- follow your gut instinct (it is usually spot on)

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

My first bit of advice- follow your gut instinct (it is usually spot on)

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Best advertising you can do is let happy customers do it for you . Just work out that many people want free quotes and hope to get advice through meeting you or the quote etc .And then they pull 3 guys out of nowhere for peanuts and project manage the job off whatever knowledge they think they have learnt from you . Happy clients are the best things since slice bread . Working for other trades can be a sliding slope .

Reply to Early Days of Being Self-Employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net