Discuss earth electrode testing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers nickblake,

I have actually seen this diagram with the 10 x the rod length, current and potential rod etc, im just trying understand if the ground around the rod is of pretty low resistance , what good would that be if the rest of it leading upto say the suppliers earth tansformers rod is of high resistanc, hence high reading i think.

Many Thanks

Locket

There will very likely be other earth paths available between the installation electrode and the TX electrode.
The majority of TXs provide various earthing systems. TT is usually used for installations which are so distant that the cost is prohibitive to supply either TN-S or TN-C-S.
Other installations supplied by the same TX may well be on TN-S or TN-C-S, and if any of them are between the TT installation and the TX, their earth paths will be utilised.
On a new installation, you would test the electrode to ensure that you have a sound and reliable electrode/soil interface.
Then upon connection to the supply, you would test the Ze to ensure that the earth fault path is within limits. If it isn't, then you would consider your alternatives, such as extending the depth of a rod, or the installation of supplementary rods.
Remember that although it is recommended that the earth electrode resistance should be below 200Ω for stabillity and reliability, the Zs of the final circuits in the installation can be up to 1667Ω.

Reply to earth electrode testing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Would like some advice on the below. Context: Rural French domestic installation TT system Earth rod is situated inside the property...
Replies
Views
Has anyone here got experience of doing a soil / earth resistance survey for the design of a large-ish site? We might be looking at a fenced area...
Replies
Views
I've just picked one of these up on a famous auction site. The voltages, low and high resistance ranges all appear to be working fine but it's not...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm nearly on my AM2 test and really enjoy the industrial side of things so I thought I'd learn by asking. I recently came across...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm a little confused confused is someone can shine some light on the amendment 2 way of doing IR. I know you have to do one 1st fix at 500V...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock