Discuss Ecobuild...What did you learn? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just got back. Got sick of gawping a modules and inverters after the first five minutes so went on a freebie pen hunt instead. Got loads. Spoke to the chaps at K2 about their new, UK specific, roof hooks - fixable with M6 screws in accordance with MCS and Eurocode wotsits - nice. Went to poke fun at my mate on the Redland stand 'cos he was in a suit (good pens though). Had what appeared to be two different conversations simultaneously with some Chinese inverter manufacturer. Her English was better than my Chinese though, so shouldn't complain. Met a few suppliers and put names to faces, which was nice but really had no inclination to talk to the dozens of other wholesalers all offering identical kit. Asked the guy on the Elecsa stand a question he couldn't answer but promised he would look into and get back to me, so it's nice to now I'm getting something something for my annual fee.

Did manage to find two very interesting things to concentrate efforts on in the future. Neither of them involve PV, which is something of a relief.

Met Andy at Sibert so put a face to a name and David again at Power-One.
Power-One are due to be introducing micro-inverters and optimisers this year.
SMA released some new firmware for the Tripower last Friday apparently, which has Optitrac Global Peak. I look forward to getting it by email.
I liked the BIPV roofed greenhouse.

I went today too ...I was looking at other renewable technologies. I know what I need to know about solar for now, some marketing advice would have been good, people are talking it up but its easy for me to talk solar to our suppliers just wouldn't mind talking to new customers..........

Spoke to sanyo/panasonic bird I said her prices need to drop, I sense prices may come down in April.

Saw the Romag roof integrated systems, very impressive !

REAL audit tomorrow !

I had a chance of speaking with schletter guys about the end spacers and the nuts that are not secure and require 2 hands to assemble. I had a German solar roofer working with us and he said that schletter was awkward, he said big companies in Germany are working with smarter locking systems without lose nuts.

So I was pleased to see K2, with springs and looking system, self-treaded parts. I thought it was much easier to work with. I am still waiting for prices to compare cost benefit. I want to test it in a 45[FONT=&quot]º[/FONT] install soon and see how it goes…

I saw an unusual Solar panel that you can plug strait to the grid, has a normal plug in the end. There was also a company that made a solar thermal unit with solar PV in one, so they claim is the ideal as the PV gets hotter and start losing efficiency, the water circulating from the thermal system would control its temperature… Interesting concept however I think it’s far away from being adopt by big manufacturers.

I spoke with a Chinese Inverter manufacturer, and I found very attractive prices, some ½ of SMAs, and 20 YEARS WARRANTY. The truth is the Chinese have the money today, and they will be paying to get their products on top, 20 years warranty is a very good appeal.

Overall the show was fantastic, really worth to visit!

I saw this as well, the lady that was manning the stand didn't seem interested in explaining how it worked though.

It had a box with space for 4 panels connecting directly into it. Appeared to not need an inverter

Reply to Ecobuild...What did you learn? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net