Discuss ECS Grading advice/opinions? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread..

I have just applied for a new gold card after completing the 18th and having finally receiving my cert for EAL L3 in initial verification. (Current other qualifications: EAL L3 in Periodic, AM2, EAL L3 NVQ in electrical install, Advanced Level Apprenticeship, CITB SMSTS).

I applied for approved grade, but I have just received my card back with electrician grade? My problem is; I completed my NVQ in Jan 2017, but my training provider had lost mine and others work. My cert for this was finally received in April 2018 (and dated for Apr 2018?).

I have completed the 2 years experience after passing the NVQ, and have pre experience (HV engineering) before undertaking the NVQ. Surely this is enough to satisfy the grade criteria?

Has anyone else had this problem regarding the "2 years time"? Any advice on how to go about rectifying this? When I call the ECS all I get is 'computer says no?' and no advice?

Finding this really frustrating, I'm currently running jobs but my company refuses the pay rise until I get the approved card. It's a good company, and I'm on the cards with perks, so would like to stay there.

Any advice would help!

Cheers, Dave

If your Certificate states it was issued in April 2018, that’s when JIB will take your 2 years from, no ifs, no buts. Otherwise anyone can say they did things and try to shorten the time they need to complete to get that approved status.
I know it’s frustrating, but the JIB stick to the rules in order to keep the indisputable

I believe you need to hold the Electrician grade card for 2 years before you can apply for an Approved Electrician graded card. I dont think you can jump straight to approved.
I have had an electricians gold card since last April, but should of gained it in Jan 17, as this is when I originally passed!

I don't think there is a way around the whole dates in the computer scenario, so will just have to suffer because of somebody else's incompetence!

I just wanted to see if anyone else has been in the same scenario and has got around it?

If your Certificate states it was issued in April 2018, that’s when JIB will take your 2 years from, no ifs, no buts. Otherwise anyone can say they did things and try to shorten the time they need to complete to get that approved status.
I know it’s frustrating, but the JIB stick to the rules in order to keep the indisputable
Agreed, I can see why they are black and white regarding the grading.
As you say, just frustrating! especially when you are ticking all the boxes, and carrying out duties above and beyond an approved sparks!
I will have to pin my hopes with company for the rise without the card I think?!

Yeah, it is to do with the certificate dates to show the 2 years. E.g NVQ3 plus 2 years plus a 2391 (or equivalent T&I cert) = Approved Grade. I got an approved grade on my first gold card as the dates were ok but I had just not applied for one before.

Also you can get it endorsed by your supervisor witch allows you to gain the approved grade before 2 years

Also you can get it endorsed by your supervisor witch allows you to gain the approved grade before 2 years

.....and years ago there used to be all sorts of shenanigans with the JIB and "Grandfather" rights if you were in a JIB firm. Approved grades without T&I just on a bosses letter etc lol

How is it going to affect you by not having "approved" on the card?
Company wage policy, no approved on your card then no approved rate.
In their opinion if they are paying you the approved rate, they will want to charge their client the approved rate. They don't want their client seeing my card with electrician on it and questioning their prices. Which is fair enough.

Reply to ECS Grading advice/opinions? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock