Discuss EICR Certificate not issued. Not all circuits RCD protected rated C2 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

denniso

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had an EICR done on my 2 bed house which is a residential let. This house is about 25 years old built by Charles Church.

The EICR has not been issued due do C2's, there were no C1's
Email with C2s ratings for 1) Not all circuits RCD protected, 2) Bathroom light is a bare build not IP rated and 3) Hall pendant missing skirt cap.
I have no more detail at present ... just an email with bullets.
Just to reiterate I have some circuits with RCDs just not "all" circuits with RCDs!

I have challenged the email from the estate agent and received this response.

"As for the codes, any privately rented property nowdays requires rcd protection across each and every circuit to ensure safety to the tenants, failure of 30mA rcd protection on any circuits causes a C2 code when then the EICR fails as it cannot pass with any C2 codes present. (I'm currently having this problem at 90% of properties I'm conducting EICRs at) so unfortunately it is mandatory. 100% a code 2, it's different if it's in your own household then it's a code 3, but a rented accommodation it's a code 2 as all circuits have to be rcd protect for the safety of the tenants.

I will break the quotation down further for you with a full quotation typed up thoroughly shortly."

So the question and help required is
QUESTION: Is it a REQUIREMENT to have RCDs on "all" circuits to avoid a C2 rating? My position after limited research is no it is not a C2
HELP REQUIRED: How do I proceed? The property manager Romans Estate Agents in Berkshire is the individual supporting the Electricians position!

Report yet to be issued/released by the Estate Agent and or Electrician

As it is a Report it should be issued irrespective of the fact that it may state that the electrical installation is "Unsatisfactory". To put it into context, probably 95% of the inspections I carry out result in "Unsatisfactory" being recorded. The important thing is that you have remedial works carried out as necessary (and certified as appropriate).

Lack of 30mA RCD additional protection is likely to attract different classifications/codes against it in the observations depending on the reason for the requirement. As an example an electric shower without 30mA RCD protection may not be classified the same way as concealed cables buried in the wall at a depth of less than 50mm and not otherwise mechanically protected e.g. with Earthed steel conduit.

It is also incorrect to state that all circuits in domestic dwellings require 30mA RCD protection. Very often that will be the most economic way of installing, but there is no blanket requirement for 30mA RCD protection on all domestic circuits.

As always the introduction of new legislation has resulted in chaos and chancers.

My take is that all rental properties have to be tested to the 18th edition.

All editions of the regulation have a statement to the effect that they should not be retrospectively applied.

So, unless your property was built to the 18th then it need not fully comply with the 18th. It must however full comply with the edition in use when the property was built/refurbished.

There is as always nuance and some situations will receive a C2 even when not in contravention of the regulations in force at the time.

In brief, some circuits need not be RCD protected. Socket and all bathroom circuits should. General lighting the odd fused spur radial need not.

Ideally, budget allowing, there is a good safety argument for RCD protection of all domestic circuits.

Hello,

I've recently had an EICR done on my 2 bed house which is a residential let. This house is about 25 years old built by Charles Church.

Email with C2s ratings for 1) Not all circuits RCD protected, 2) Bathroom light is a bare build not IP rated and 3) Hall pendant missing skirt cap.
Just to reiterate I have some circuits with RCDs just not "all" circuits with RCDs!

"As for the codes, any privately rented property nowdays requires rcd protection across each and every circuit to ensure safety to the tenants, failure of 30mA rcd protection on any circuits causes a C2 code when then the EICR fails as it cannot pass with any C2 codes present. (I'm currently having this problem at 90% of properties I'm conducting EICRs at) so unfortunately it is mandatory. 100% a code 2, it's different if it's in your own household then it's a code 3, but a rented accommodation it's a code 2 as all circuits have to be rcd protect for the safety of the tenants.

I will break the quotation down further for you with a full quotation typed up thoroughly shortly."

QUESTION: Is it a REQUIREMENT to have RCDs on "all" circuits to avoid a C2 rating? My position after limited research is no it is not a C2
HELP REQUIRED: How do I proceed? The property manager Romans Estate Agents in Berkshire is the individual supporting the Electricians position!

According to NAPIT, a C2 code is required in the circuits not protected by RCD situation, so although I personally would code it C3, there is a case for supporting the C2 there. I also agree with the statement that you should be doing everything possible to ensure the safety of your tenants, and realistically, upgrading all circuits to have all RCD protection is a step in that direction.

According to NAPIT, a C2 code is required in the circuits not protected by RCD situation, so although I personally would code it C3, there is a case for supporting the C2 there. I also agree with the statement that you should be doing everything possible to ensure the safety of your tenants, and realistically, upgrading all circuits to have all RCD protection is a step in that direction.

A experienced inspector has to be able to apply their discretion when applying codes and also be aware of previous editions of the wiring regulations. Something being "Unsafe" and something that is "Not unsafe but could be made safer" are two different things. An EICR should not be used to up sell improvement works beyond recommendations to rectify unsafe situations.

Get the report off her and stick it up here and you will get a better input. They legally have to give you the very even if unsatisfactory. Not all bathroom lights need to be a certain IP rating and a pendent missing a skirt is a C3 for me.

As far as the electrician doing the report is concerned there should be no difference in coding between an owned property and one to be rented.

I’m sure there’s another thread on here mentioning that the new rules for all rented to have an EICR is worded wrong.

What happens in a few years when the 19th comes out?

A experienced inspector has to be able to apply their discretion when applying codes and also be aware of previous editions of the wiring regulations. Something being "Unsafe" and something that is "Not unsafe but could be made safer" are two different things. An EICR should not be used to up sell improvement works beyond recommendations to rectify unsafe situations.
I am fully aware of that. I am not a member of NAPIT either but they code it as a C2. Merely pointing that out.

In my opinion, the regs have always been taken as correct at date of installation.
If something is deemed safe and up to standard when installed, I don’t like the presumption that it is unsafe when new regs are published.
I am sure there is a comment in the regs book that says pretty much the same thing but I am not going to look for it tonight.

Remember, if they did this with mot tests, there would not be a single classic car allowed on the road.
Are we saying that all classic cars are dangerous?

All,

I absolutely agree safety first!
Cost is not the issue
I want to understand if "not have all circuits RCD protected" is an automatic C2 rating
- Page 12 of the Best Practice Guide attached - implies to me no this is not a C2.
I am on here for guidance from experts. I am NOT an electrician. I would/ do appreciate your response and guidance.

Attachments

• bpg4-1.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 110
Best Practice Guides are not required documents to have or follow similarly, you also have the NAPIT guide often giving different advise. It is up to the individual how they Code things usually through knowledge and experience although most often this is not the case.

All,

I absolutely agree safety first!
Cost is not the issue
I want to understand if "not have all circuits RCD protected" is an automatic C2 rating
- Page 12 of the Best Practice Guide attached - implies to me no this is not a C2.
I am on here for guidance from experts. I am NOT an electrician. I would/ do appreciate your response and guidance.
It is not an automatic C2, however it could well be a C2. Lots of landlords are starting to ask the same question and I think we need to focus on the fact that an RCD is a life saver.
If the electrician has given it a C2 and the estate agent is agreeing with the electrician then I think it's best to get the work carried out.
I always think that not having an RCD is like driving around in a car without a seatbelt on. You're fine until you have a crash.

I always think that not having an RCD is like driving around in a car without a seatbelt on. You're fine until you have a crash.

i would more liken it to having a seatbelt but not an airbag. similar to having ADS but no RCD.

If something is deemed safe and up to standard when installed, I don’t like the presumption that it is unsafe when new regs are published.
I am sure there is a comment in the regs book that says pretty much the same thing but I am not going to look for it tonight.

There is an often misunderstood statement in the regulations that compliance with a previous edition does not necessarily mean something is dangerous, potentially dangerous or in need of improvement.

This does not say that 'if it complied when it is installed then it is ok'
[automerge]1595258321[/automerge]
Hello,

What a load of bull-poo!

The regulations are the same for all installations, it doesn't matter whether it is rented or not.
There are a number of reasons for installing RCD protection on circuits, depending on the exact situation a lack of RCD protection can be either a C2 or C3 item.

An EICR is not a certificate, it is a report.

The job you have employed them to do is carry out a report, if they have refused to provide you with the report then don't pay them and get another electrician to do it.
They have no right, or reason, to withhold the report based on the outcome of the report.

The overall assessment of an installation cannot be 'fail' it can only be 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory'

Last edited:
As far as the electrician doing the report is concerned there should be no difference in coding between an owned property and one to be rented.

I’m sure there’s another thread on here mentioning that the new rules for all rented to have an EICR is worded wrong.

What happens in a few years when the 19th comes out?
Absolutely, littlespark, 1 day the 18th finishes, the next day the 19th starts. What happens? rewire everything?
[automerge]1595282287[/automerge]
There is an often misunderstood statement in the regulations that compliance with a previous edition does not necessarily mean something is dangerous, potentially dangerous or in need of improvement.

This does not say that 'if it complied when it is installed then it is ok'
[automerge]1595258321[/automerge]

What a load of bull-poo!

The regulations are the same for all installations, it doesn't matter whether it is rented or not.
There are a number of reasons for installing RCD protection on circuits, depending on the exact situation a lack of RCD protection can be either a C2 or C3 item.

An EICR is not a certificate, it is a report.

The job you have employed them to do is carry out a report, if they have refused to provide you with the report then don't pay them and get another electrician to do it.
They have no right, or reason, to withhold the report based on the outcome of the report.

The overall assessment of an installation cannot be 'fail' it can only be 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory'
Eicr is a report, Well I think that's what the "R" is for!

All,

attached here is the EICR report .. to me it does not contain a lot of detail
Your opinions please.

How much detail in a typical report should I expect?
What is the rationale for C2s ratings ? Are they justified?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to EICR Certificate not issued. Not all circuits RCD protected rated C2 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock