Discuss EICR Inspection Issue in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

My last sentence seems to read wrongly but the meaning should be CPC needed with class I, lack of CPC is only acceptable for class II (double insulated).

There can be alternatives to rewiring such as running in a separate CPC from a nearby circuit, but that is often as difficult as the rewiring aspect. Also assuming there is no metal conduit in use?
Does the CPC only need to go to the light fitting i.e not to the switch?

How about the exposed conductive parts of the metal screws holding the light switches in place. I'd probably research for the 10th time to see if this would be a C2, but I think it would be.

There can be alternatives to rewiring such as running in a separate CPC from a nearby circuit, but that is often as difficult as the rewiring aspect. Also assuming there is no metal conduit in use?
Completely agree, but note that as this is a bungalow (and assuming loft access) it is probably in fact easier to run new lighting circuits. Throw in wireless switching and there's then a fully compliant lighting circuit with no/minimal redecoration costs.

But the point still applies that if the wiring is of that age there is probably a real shortage of sockets. It's likely that the prospective purchasers are going to need it to be rewired anyway.
So while you could get the lighting rewired and the CU changed and end up with a 'satisfactory' installation, it may be more sensible to negotiate a moderate price reduction and let the purchaser take on the task of a complete rewire.

The issues have been identified really. Even if you just upgrade the bits that have been deemed c2's any buyer is going to haggle IF they get an electrician to look it over as part of their own survey. The age of the installation would be on my list of something I would look to haggle about. The only real way forward here is factor it in to the price of the house or get a rewire done and add a bit on to the price to reflect the fact that you have recently upgraded the electrical system in the house....something like that would/should/could add a few pounds onto the value....maybe it's because i'm an electrician that I think that way though, nor idea about the "average" buyer.

The issues have been identified really. Even if you just upgrade the bits that have been deemed c2's any buyer is going to haggle IF they get an electrician to look it over as part of their own survey. The age of the installation would be on my list of something I would look to haggle about. The only real way forward here is factor it in to the price of the house or get a rewire done and add a bit on to the price to reflect the fact that you have recently upgraded the electrical system in the house....something like that would/should/could add a few pounds onto the value....maybe it's because i'm an electrician that I think that way though, nor idea about the "average" buyer.
TBH the real issue is not the rewrite aspect it’s the fact that every room in the house will now need redecorating because of having to cut in new wiring or look terrible with surface wiring! Appreciate your time👍

Reply to EICR Inspection Issue in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net