Discuss EICR / inspection request in Redditch B97 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum after I have registered few months ago.
I am new to the domestic electical after taking some intensive course in Feb with some hands-on experience in the past.

Although I have been waiting for my Level 3 Cert in Installing, Testing, & Ensuring Compliance of Electrical installations in Dwellings from EAL, I have learnt and worked from some jobs.

I am hestistated to ask question here because I found some members tend to criticise or made the endless agrument over others. I wish I would be treated kindly here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friend has a 3-bedroom detached house built in 1960s. After the decoration/refurbishment, they are going to rent it out but got stuck because the electrician referred by the local estate agent has told my friend the house did not pass the check (e.g. EICR), and the guy suggested/quoted a full house rewiring at £7k included parts and labour.They just paid other trademan to finish the decoration/refurbishment, so they worry much about the full house rewiring would end up more bill. They want to get the electricial inspection done before the decoration/refurbihsment, but the agent cannot find out available electrician for them. What a shame.

The house uses the old wire colour scheme as expected. After my few visual check from the photos,two different outdoor sockets/junction box used the wrong cable (indoor type), they should use SWA or other external grade. One of circuit is radial on B32 which looks like 2.5mm so it should require rewiring, etc. The pictures I got have shown one RCD for sockets. The consumer unit looks ok from some pictures, but I dont have further detail yet. Due to the distance, I cannot easily go on site to test.

My firend is looking for another local electrician to carryout a EICR report in Redditch B97.
Because the agent's referred electricial has not provided any detail or EICR like report, they just told my friend the house need full re-wiring in £7k, that's it.

If the old house requires full rewiring, I would understand, but at least providing some fact check like low IR reading, lack of earthing, wrong size of cable, etc. My friend has got nothing but a reply of full house rewiring and the quote.

Should there be any registered electrician in this forum, would anyone of you be able to provide for an EICR report for my friend. Thenm I could pass the detail on. Many Thanks!

Your help is much appreicated.

Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum after I have registered few months ago.
I am new to the domestic electical after taking some intensive course in Feb with some hands-on experience in the past.

Although I have been waiting for my Level 3 Cert in Installing, Testing, & Ensuring Compliance of Electrical installations in Dwellings from EAL, I have learnt and worked from some jobs.

I am hestistated to ask question here because I found some members tend to criticise or made the endless agrument over others. I wish I would be treated kindly here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friend has a 3-bedroom detached house built in 1960s. After the decoration/refurbishment, they are going to rent it out but got stuck because the electrician referred by the local estate agent has told my friend the house did not pass the check (e.g. EICR), and the guy suggested/quoted a full house rewiring at £7k included parts and labour.They just paid other trademan to finish the decoration/refurbishment, so they worry much about the full house rewiring would end up more bill. They want to get the electricial inspection done before the decoration/refurbihsment, but the agent cannot find out available electrician for them. What a shame.

The house uses the old wire colour scheme as expected. After my few visual check from the photos,two different outdoor sockets/junction box used the wrong cable (indoor type), they should use SWA or other external grade. One of circuit is radial on B32 which looks like 2.5mm so it should require rewiring, etc. The pictures I got have shown one RCD for sockets. The consumer unit looks ok from some pictures, but I dont have further detail yet. Due to the distance, I cannot easily go on site to test.

My firend is looking for another local electrician to carryout a EICR report in Redditch B97.
Because the agent's referred electricial has not provided any detail or EICR like report, they just told my friend the house need full re-wiring in £7k, that's it.

If the old house requires full rewiring, I would understand, but at least providing some fact check like low IR reading, lack of earthing, wrong size of cable, etc. My friend has got nothing but a reply of full house rewiring and the quote.

Should there be any registered electrician in this forum, would anyone of you be able to provide for an EICR report for my friend. Thenm I could pass the detail on. Many Thanks!

Your help is much appreicated.
Can you or your Friend post a copy of the EICR on this forum? it would help with an answer.

Tell him to get an electrician of his own by recommendation. This is the problem with letting agents, they take ten percent of people's rental income and then often can't even provide tradespeople. Or they use electricians who, instead if an EICR, give a one line 'needs a re wire'.

When I used a letting a letting agent some years ago, I got very little for my money.

Someone on here will do an EICR for him I'm sure. At a reasonable, but not bargain basement, price.

My friend did not say or got told by the agent that the referred electrician has provided EICR. But my friend is going to rent it out, so I just assume it is EICR like inspection.

My friend paid £100-£120 to the agent. So we have reason that they dont produce a proper EICR.

The problem to my friend is that without any reason/fact check in any form of writing from the agent's electrician, how can my friend justify the need of full house rewiring?

Therefore, I would help them to find out any local electrician to carry out EICR for their 3-bedroom detached house built in 1960s.

I reckon asking the people here is better than telling my friend to lookup the electrican inin Yell.com, right?

I have attached my friend's received message from the agent's electrician, on top of the verbal message about £7k full house re-wiring.

Attachments

• EICR / inspection request in Redditch B97 IMG-20200729-WA0019 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200729-WA0019.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 34
£100 EICR with no paper work and a "like for like" rewire being offered is utter tosh. Your friend should demand to see the EICR. If the installation is past its life span then chances are there are other issues like inadequate number and poor location of socket outlets for modern living, a like for like rewire would not solve this issue and there could be a rather large bill for extras.

Tell him to get an electrician of his own by recommendation. This is the problem with letting agents, they take ten percent of people's rental income and then often can't even provide tradespeople. Or they use electricians who, instead if an EICR, give a one line 'needs a re wire'.

When I used a letting a letting agent some years ago, I got very little for my money.

Someone on here will do an EICR for him I'm sure. At a reasonable, but not bargain basement, price.
You forgot to mention they add 10% to any invoices for maintenance work they arrange,
at 7K for a rewire I wonder if that includes the agents 10%

Seems to be quite common these days to get a rewire recommendation and no EICR paperwork even though you have paid for an EICR

Reply to EICR / inspection request in Redditch B97 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock