Discuss Electric boiler service in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help. I've been told I have to do a electric boiler service and I honesty have no idea where to even start.
I made my feelings clear about it, but it's unsurprisingly fell on deaf ears.
Is this something that I should even be doing (only lv3 & 18th qual) first, and if so, what am meant to be testing?

I personally have never annually serviced an electric boiler, have only changed elements in them when they have failed much like an IH on older wet systems.
A few pointers.

1. Checking all electrical connections to ensure tightness and that there is no corrosion.
  2. Checking the tundish and surrounding area for signs of water.
  3. Checking for signs of damage to wiring, such as rodent gnawing, etc.
  4. Check the air bubble in the cylinder tank.

Do you have the manufacturers information on what is required during a service? If not then that would be a good place to start.

There may be parts which require cleaning, inspecting, lubricating or replacing at service intervals on the mechanical/water side of the appliance.
Nope, I have no information at all (as usual on 99% of my jobs apart from the obvious).
I'm really not happy doing this, but as usual it's ignored and just told "its easy".
More than likely just going to check the terminations on supply side and visual check for any thermal damage. After that, I'm not putting my name on anything else.

Problem is the client is paying for this and expect a service from someone who knows what they are doing. If it is so easy someone should at least be showing you how to perform the task on site so you can see.

If you don’t know what needs to be done, you won’t know how long the job is to take.

Come back to early or too late, and your boss will complain either way.

You’ve told them verbally. Now put it in writing. Send an email to your boss explaining you don’t feel confident unless you have proper instructions, or someone more experienced helping.
It’s not just electrical… there’s plumbing too.
Have you got water pressure meters and thermometers etc?

Level 3 or not, it’s not right for an unqualified spark to be basically running jobs. You don’t get any more pay, and company will be charging for a tradesman, not an apprentice.

Level 3 or not, it’s not right for an unqualified spark to be basically running jobs. You don’t get any more pay, and company will be charging for a tradesman, not an apprentice.

I'm a million miles away from being an apprentice and about 25years to late, 🤣 just haven't taken any further courses as I (currently) have had no need for my nvq3 to 'prove' what I can and have been doing for years. And although there are 2 others more 'qualified' they certainly aren't more experienced and have far less knowledge.

Customer will be told I have no idea what I'm doing as I've never done one before, I don't shy away from the truth, and will tell them to take it up with the boss if not happy.

I'm a million miles away from being an apprentice and about 25years to late, 🤣 just haven't taken any further courses as I (currently) have had no need for my nvq3 to 'prove' what I can and have been doing for years. And although there are 2 others more 'qualified' they certainly aren't more experienced and have far less knowledge.

Customer will be told I have no idea what I'm doing as I've never done one before, I don't shy away from the truth, and will tell them to take it up with the boss if not happy.
Your profile is marked as trainee, I think that’s why people presume you are an apprentice.

If it's a heating boiler here's an example of what's required from 1 manufacturer's manual,
although it would be much the same for a 3kw under sink water heater.

Ferroli boiler maint.PNG

Electric boilers when it comes to servicing throw up the issue of who is responsible for servicing each part of the system and what the customers expectation is of this being completed in one visit when it really bridges two areas of expertise

If it's a heating boiler here's an example of what's required from 1 manufacturer's manual,
although it would be much the same for a 3kw under sink water heater.

View attachment 101969
Interesting that there is no mention of any inhibitor checks on that list given that radiator corrosion causes a lot of problems in a heating system

Update:
I turned up, looked, saw it was a unvented system (that was leaking), took some pictures and drove back to office. It was then when I was told it was a safety check not a service (so why tell me service! 🤣) and all he did last time was check rcd was working and a earth continuity check 🤷‍♂️. So back I went and 10mins later done.

Update:
I turned up, looked, saw it was a unvented system (that was leaking), took some pictures and drove back to office. It was then when I was told it was a safety check not a service (so why tell me service! 🤣) and all he did last time was check rcd was working and a earth continuity check 🤷‍♂️. So back I went and 10mins later done.
You have a leaking unvented system that may be because of an expansion problem thus making it unsafe, how can this be ignored as this is a potential safety issue

Surely a safety inspection of an unvented hot water system should include checking the functions of any safety thermo-stat and over pressure relief valve.
a failure of these devices could lead to an explosion.

Edit: An electrical safety inspection.

🤷‍♂️, I just did as was told. I also told customer and boss about leak as its a rental place. Other than that, its out of my hands now.

Surely a safety inspection of an unvented hot water system should include checking the functions of any safety thermo-stat and over pressure relief valve.
a failure of these devices could lead to an explosion.

Agreed, but the problem with testing over-pressure relief valves is that they very frequently never seal properly again... resulting in a permanent pressure leak hence forward... until they finally get replaced years later.

Sounds like your boiler might be on the fritz! While I'm no electrician myself, a quick search for "boiler repair Surrey" online should point you in the right direction of some qualified folks.

Reply to Electric boiler service in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net