Discuss Electricians mate tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't get me wrong mate, just responding to a previous reply. and the less I have to do at this present time the better. I want to learn things slowly and properly. And your unfortunate with that 17 year old "know it all". Im 24 and glad im not some prepubescent slacker.
its not a case of being unfortunate....he`s a good lad really but he gets mouthy and refuses to do as he`s told (probably caus he`s the boss`s kid brother)....but i have brought this up with the boss and he`s in agreement that robert is there to learn...
i have said i will teach him to the best of my ability and with a bit of luck he will make it ...but anyway, that dont matter here does it...
just basic tools are required here....and as far as drivers are concerned...well i popped into CEF for something the other day, grabbed a flyer they had on the counter and i think it was £12 or something like that for a set of 5 Bahco VDE1000V drivers.....so i would suggest you tootle down there with your 12 quid.....dont you

I have found a 2 pairs of adjustable pliers. 1 just a basic standard, and the second ones are a pair of vde rated. whih ones do people think are better for a newbie. do I splash the cash on a nice £14 pair of vde's or just basic for now. Many thanks.

well i popped into CEF for something the other day, grabbed a flyer they had on the counter and i think it was £12 or something like that for a set of 5 Bahco VDE1000V drivers.....so i would suggest you tootle down there with your 12 quid.....dont you
Was Aldi the other day, they have a set for about a fiver, auto cable strippers for £7.99 and a load of other stuff that's cheap and serviceable. Obviously the quality isn't going to be great but for someone just starting out it'll get them going

depends what kind of job you will be doing. different tools for domestic, different for industrial.
your basic set looks enough, in first couple of days you will know if you need something more. treat buying tools as an investment, if you look after them they should last you years.

Basic Mate gear

Decent set of drivers if you can you can get WERA VDE's for about 20 quid but Cheap ones will suffice as you won't be anywhere near LIVE work

A decent drill & drill bits

Decent small magnetic Spirit level.

Tape Measure.

Hammer.

Hack saw & Junior Hacksaw & some blades.

Stanley knife.

Pad saw I picked up a decent IRWIN padsaw which came with a sheath for only 8 quid delivered from Ebay

Snips (Get decent Snips that won't Blunt after 5 mins)

Combi-Pliers

Long nose pliers for pulling cables through small holes.

Spanner set you can get a 11 piece spanner set on Amazon for like 5 quid Delivered

Rachet Set if you can spare the Money as it will help you tighten nuts & Bolts better & with less effort therefore saving time plus if you get a drill & can get & square bar from a drill driver you can use the Hex nut fixings from the Rachet set on your drill for drilling in Self Tappers/ and screwing in Hilti rod fixings in the Concrete ceilings etc.

Chisels if you can & a lump Hammer & Bolster chisel

Some water pliers if you can to tighten up things that are too big for your pliers

some files for filing down any Cuts you make in containment etc

also Markers & pencils

Was Aldi the other day, they have a set for about a fiver, auto cable strippers for £7.99 and a load of other stuff that's cheap and serviceable. Obviously the quality isn't going to be great but for someone just starting out it'll get them going

I have had two sets of these cheap vde drivers from aldi and havent had any trouble with them other than them disappearing mysteriously from my tool bags.

I will take your tip and head down for another set as a standby .. cheers

20mm holesaw
combination square

If it was my first time on a new Job I wouldn't buy any Hole saws right away, I would just use the Sparks, but if you need a set you can Buy them Cheap on Ebay , I have 2 sets of Makitas in my bag 1 with 20/25/32/35mm saws & Arbor/Pilot they where only 10 Quid and my other set has 2 Arbours/Pilots 20/25/35/51mm saws they where 15 quid apart from snapping the pilot on my first set from applying too much pressure on it I can't fault the saws as I have used the 32mm a lot & it has only lost 1 tooth so far

The brother in law (the diabetic one) is on the recycling squad round our way and is a proper skip rat. Got me a brand spanking new set of De Walt hole saws that someone had chucked out. £150 off the shelf. To me, nowt :)

depends what kind of job you will be doing. different tools for domestic, different for industrial.
your basic set looks enough, in first couple of days you will know if you need something more. treat buying tools as an investment, if you look after them they should last you years.
and this is where decent stuff will always hold out...in the end...
get the 5 piece driver set from Bahco...decent gear....after all..its an extention of your hand...isn`t it..

for waterpump pliers

you cant beat knipex alligator. mechanism to get gunked up so take a fair bit of abuse

knipex 180mm vde sidecutters (one with thin read handles)

are £20 or so on amazon, there very good but i prefer ck. i used wiha for over a year and there my backup pair

pick things up as you need them. ask the guys you get put with what you will need, they will tell you priorities.

most places specilise or many deal with only a handful of different types of jobs

by cheap buy twice

I've been told that these days, (not all places I must stress) Mates are given the same amount of duties as the electricians. to make the sparkys day easier, and so they can get more jobs on.

Reply to Electricians mate tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net