Discuss elp wiv gettin info and that for stuff that i need to no in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electromonkey

Evening everyone.

This might sound really pretentious (and more so because I've only been on here as a member for a month or so) but as I read through a lot of the threads on here, I can't help think that a chimp with a basic grasp of computer literacy has managed to somehow contribute.

It's often a new member who needs help with one thing or another (which is fine as that is one of the main functions of this forum) but their spelling, grammar and general sentence structuring can be shocking. I understand that some people have genuine problems with this type of thing but there does appear to be quite a high frequency of it occurring and I for one feel reluctant to help someone if they can't make the effort to re read something they post on here to make sure that people who are taking up their own time to offer assistance can understand what it is that they are being asked.

I am by no means at the top of the class when it comes to English but when I read some of the stuff on here..........

Rant over.

Thanks

P.S.What does "Tin hat on" mean? I meant to ask Murdoch in another thread when he posted it but Lenny closed it down (due to poor English I think).

Tin hat on means you have made a post that possibly alot of others may not agree with so watch out for the flack , i must admit im guilty of posting the reading i do try to correct but do miss some time but , i was cruel in one post when it was in Jive i think, didnt make any sense to me i just put LOL it was a while ago now

Tin hat on means you have made a post that possibly alot of others may not agree with so watch out for the flack

Thanks nickblake. I've experienced a "tin hat on" moment first hand then. I asked about carrying out PIR's for free as a possible business plan a couple of weeks ago. If only I knew then what I know now LOL.

I'm a complete apostrophe ----, then there's the there, they're, their, where, were, we're etc which does slightly bug me, but I think, 'It's only an internet forum', so I let it go.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people with poor reading & writing skills, through no fault of their own, and dyslexics out there, who were once considered as just being 'thick', but on many occasions turn out to be of considerably above average intelligence. Don't be too hard.

Must admit I've seen the occasional post where I've thought 'What the $&%£ is this guy on about'

Free PIR's lol its a miricle they didnt reload the german dora gun for that one [video=youtube;BxuW8gG8Hfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuW8gG8Hfg&feature=player_detailpage[/video] for that one

Evening everyone.

This might sound really pretentious (and more so because I've only been on here as a member for a month or so) but as I read through a lot of the threads on here, I can't help think that a chimp with a basic grasp of computer literacy has managed to somehow contribute.

It's often a new member who needs help with one thing or another (which is fine as that is one of the main functions of this forum) but their spelling, grammar and general sentence structuring can be shocking. I understand that some people have genuine problems with this type of thing but there does appear to be quite a high frequency of it occurring and I for one feel reluctant to help someone if they can't make the effort to re read something they post on here to make sure that people who are taking up their own time to offer assistance can understand what it is that they are being asked.

I am by no means at the top of the class when it comes to English but when I read some of the stuff on here..........

Rant over.

Thanks

P.S.What does "Tin hat on" mean? I meant to ask Murdoch in another thread when he posted it but Lenny closed it down (due to poor English I think).

What Lenny - I believe it was - if I remember correctly meant by 'I'll get my tin hat on' was that he was refering to the posts that would follow on from the original post; In that he believed that the OP had opened up a can of worms. Tin (read steel) hats were the helmets worn by soldiers in days of yore. Something that your grand father would of worn in ww2. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of it comes from the fact that some people only ever write in text speak...a language alien to me,and thats all they seem capable of.
My gripe is a long post with a complete absence of punctuation....there have been quite a few of those... by the time you are half way through it you've gone blue.

What bugs me is the the number of members who do a "copy and paste" to introduce the original text of another post into theirs before adding more rather than using the "reply with quote" function!

May be there should be a thread on threads, how to write them clearly, how to use the buttons available !!

Mind you, when you're in a hurry, threads don't always come over as you mean them to!

The thing that astounds me, as well as being depressing, is when someone posts here, "I'm doing my 2391 next week, and am not sure on Insulation Testing - can someone tell me how to do it?" or other such very basic queries.

If someone really cannot remember how to do a IR test, then they shouldnt be out testing, never mind taking 2391.
Yes, I agree with you about 'txt spk' and poor use of language, it just makes it hard to read - there was one thread yesterday that I was going to reply to, but felt there was little point, as the poster had such little grasp of the situation that a little help would not be any good, he was totally clueless, and needed to get someone in who did know what they were doing - it can be dangerous giving someone a few ideas, when they do not know the basics.
Alan.*

TXT really bugs me. I don’t use it on my phone! When someone has a fairly technical question trying to sort that out along with TXT speak makes it hard work. On another forum we get a lot of Vietnamese people asking some technical stuff and they will insist on using TXT, that added to bad English makes some of the posts impossible to read. I’ve had to resort to using a TXT translator before now.

I'm now intrigued about what forum you are subscribed to that has lots of Vietnamese participants - my mind's a dangerous thing :)

Why is dyslexia such a hard word to spell? Was someone taking the p*ss

Ha ha totally agree, on a similar note why is the Welsh word for "services" ( gwasanaethau) so long? A question I ask myself out loud everytime...

More on topic...A lot of people I guess don't write too often day to day and its surprising how out of practice you can become once you leave school college etc..combine that with the fact that most people use forums from phones now add to the difficulty as texting is a nightmare for fat fingers like mine.

Last edited:
Ha ha totally agree, on a similar note why is the Welsh word for "services" ( gwasanaethau) so long? A question I ask myself out loud everytime...

More on topic...A lot of people I guess don't write too often day to day and its surprising how out of practice you can become once you leave school college etc..combine that with the fact that most people use forums from phones now add to the difficulty as texting is a nightmare for fat fingers like mine.

Well if it was services it wouldnt be welsh would it , lol

Reply to elp wiv gettin info and that for stuff that i need to no in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net