Discuss EV Charger Installation - Cabling Query? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hyeung

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

We had a EV charger installed recently over the past day ie 32amp 7.2kw. In the fuse cupboard I’ve attached before and after photos.
I have a 100amp fuse for the house.

For the new EV board setup, should the 2 grey cables entering the EV board (10mm) be the same 25mm thickness as the other cables?

Would this cause any issues for me? Or is this against certain electrical standards?
Someone mentioned to me if I was to change the meter or DNO were to action any new improvements, that I’d have to get these 10mm cables changed before any work would be carried out in the future?

I have yet to settle on the work, so if there’s non standard work complete here due to this, I would be in a position to highlight and query the relevant electrical company. I would appreciate any advise?

Please excuse, as my knowledge in electrical stuff is non existent. It maybe that all is looks fine, and I’ve been given wrong advise.

Regards,
HY

F5957AF5-7FE5-4D14-ACB2-378CC4193E39.jpeg

C7CC54DC-4E42-4463-A66E-C77983FB1518.jpeg

The tails are ok.
Have you got an earth electrode outside connected to the charging point?

No I don’t believe there’s any earth electrode outside as the charge point is hosted internal inside our garage, where the garage is part of the house. I assume earth electrode is not applicable as my unit is installed internally?

I assume when you refer to the tails being ok, are referring to those 10mm cables going into the new EV board?

If all looks fine, and above board. I do wonder about the previous advise given in regards to having all cables set at 25mm to avoid future problems in meter changes or any dno type work?

Thanks,
HY

57171D14-492B-4C1F-9195-93F0B5791907.jpeg

There is no requirement for 25mm tails.
If the charging point could be used to charge a vehicle outside regulation 722.411.4.1 states that PME earthing facility must not be used, ie you must have an electrode

If the charging point could be used to charge a vehicle outside regulation 722.411.4.1 states that PME earthing facility must not be used, ie you must have an electrode
You can use PME and the easiest way to do this is to use a charging unit that is made for use with PME.

The 2 other ways are either near enough impossible to satisfy or get very expensive.

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there any truth in regards to if DNO were to action future works (upgrades) or change of meter (ie smart meter upgrade) that these 10mm tails would cause any probs? Ie DNO or provider refuse to carry out works due to these tails as a result of the recent EV charger install?

Thanks

Judging from the photos you have posted, I can't see anything wrong with this install. Tails are fine, correct type of RCD.

Did the electrician give you an Electrical Installation Certificate in respect of the work? If so, what type of earthing system has the electrician listed on the certificate in respect of the charger? TN-C-S or TT? Could you post a close-up photo of the charger?

Was the install carried-out through the OLEV Homecharge Scheme?

Last edited:
Is there any truth in regards to if DNO were to action future works (upgrades) or change of meter (ie smart meter upgrade) that these 10mm tails would cause any probs?
None whatsoever.

Ie DNO or provider refuse to carry out works due to these tails as a result of the recent EV charger install?
The DNO should already know about this install as electrical contractors are obliged to inform the DNO whenever EV chargers have been added to an existing installation. Sometimes notification needs to be given in advance of the install.

Hi - 10mm is more than sufficient for the load, but I would not have used it. I would use 16mm minimum into a 100A fuse to ensure disconnection without heat damage in a fault, just saying.

Are you sure 10mm won't be adequately protected under fault conditions?
Oops, foot in mouth time, I’ll have to check :) -

100A fuse needs 580A to clear in 5 sec and plugging that into adiabatic (from Reg 543.1.3) I get minimum size as 11mm. This would be unlikely to occur as it’d need Cmin and Ze max etc.

More likely could be 850A and 1 sec and that’s about 8mm, so all good.

But for your suggestion, JK, I doubt he would have done so.
(Did you see what I did there? LOL!)

(Goes off to get a life...)

Judging from the photos you have posted, I can't see anything wrong with this install. Tails are fine, correct type of RCD.

Did the electrician give you an Electrical Installation Certificate in respect of the work? If so, what type of earthing system has the electrician listed on the certificate in respect of the charger? TN-C-S or TT? Could you post a close-up photo of the charger?

Was the install carried-out through the OLEV Homecharge Scheme?

Yes certificate details see attached.
Looks like its TN-C-S; Charger is EO Mini Pro.
Assuming from the certificate that the work conforms to Reg BS7671?
Apologies due to my lack of electrical knowledge, the last few posts regarding suitability of 10mm cabling didn't mean much? :)
But I assume the conclusion is that the 10mm cabling used (feeding the new ev board) is all good?

It's just that some "others" have specifically mentioned that tails need to be rated at 100AMP i.e. 25mm cabling; this was my initial concern?
So hence, I just wanted to clarify this?

Yes also, the charger unit has been installed next to the garage door, so yes I could still potentially charge the car outside with the cabling routed outside. But will mainly only charge inside tbh, which is why I have it installed inside the garage.

Regarding earth protection; the EO Mini Pro unit has a some DC Leakage Protection feature built-in; hence, am I right to assume its got earth protection in some ways?
i.e.
"Earth Leakage Protection
A dedicated 30mA Type A RCD must be used on the supply circuit Integral 6mA DC leakage detection – no Type B RCD required"

Cert1.jpg

Cert2.jpg

Cert3.jpg

EOMiniPro.jpg

Reply to EV Charger Installation - Cabling Query? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net