Discuss Failing Apprentice - What to do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well what would you call him? He did 2 years at college from 16 to 18, now he works for us. He is just a worker now like every one else. I call him an apprentice because an apprenticeship used to be 7 years long. We pay him NMW.

So he isn't serving an apprenticeship. Are you assisting him with gaining qualifications such as NVQ and the aim of completing the AM2 or is this just a cheap labour situation for a kid who probably sees this as a dead end working for people who despise him?

It's clear from your posts that you detest this kid, so I'd be surprised if he hasn't also arrived at the same conclusion.

Just looked back at the thread you previously posted about this kid and note you mentioned having no idea what course he studied, not what qualifications he gained.

I think it's less a case of having lost interest in him and more a case of never having interest to begin with.

Whatever, the apprentice is an employee like any other. This excellent guide will tell you what steps to take. Get it wrong and he/she could sue for wrongful dismissal.

Mmm, I have read through the comments and understand both sides.
Oscar does have some valid points, its very different from when I started as a 15 year old kid in late 70s.
IMO age is irrelevant I loved and enjoyed the job money was rubbish but knew was gaining knowledge and learning a trade that would one day pay off thats the deal we all accepted that. (cheap labour)
I had something to prove to myself especially being told your a dunce at the age of 4 by some postwar old spinster school teacher that wrecked my confidence throughout my whole school years.
Its all very different today my own kids who are in their 30s now with children have a very different view and attitude to me so I cant even try to understand the younger generation.
I have trained up loads of kids in my time and also mature trainees some were great some we awful, what really used to get my goat up was when they tried to call the shots.

Skewed off....

I meant to add, that the OP is named Poggy.... not Oscar.

We should be using this thread for Poggy's situation, as Oscars has been mentioned on another thread already... We're just repeating ourselves with it.

It’s different to do, but it’s often said you should treat people how you would expect them to treat you. Or how you would expect them to treat your siblings, like you would treats theirs.

The trouble is we humans tend to treat others as just an object, as opposed to a person, but it is a two way thing.

The OP (and Oscar) are/is running a business not a charity, but if it was my relative, I would expect something more than what they’ve suggested.

If he’s been with you less than 2 years then you can get rid without a reason

Just give him notice in line with whatever you’ve put in his employment contract

Reply to Failing Apprentice - What to do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net