Discuss What to do with 1st Year Apprentice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Recently took on a 1st year apprentice, who is currently brand new to any tool and a days work.

Now when I've worked for larger companies I've had apprentices with a few years experience in them, so I could just fine tune these kids.
So I wouldn't mind knowing what you did from day 1 with your apprentice.

Obviously we've had the normal chats about cleaning up, passing tools, cups of tea...but Id just like to know where you started with your apprentice and what did you first start showing him/her.

We currently have a contract where we go to restaurants and fit 3phase supply and extract fans linked off gas safety systems, so its a bit too in the deep end for him and I can see him understandably scratching his head.

I've got the college portal where I can log-in and see his progress, so thats pretty handy to keep in touch with what hes doing, but we all know it doesnt always translate to site.

It would be interesting to know your stories/advice.

Thanks all.

Doesn't sound like an ideal starting place for an apprentice.
The only thing you can do is start at the bottom and work up, the same as you would any other apprentice.
What is the most basic thing you do on a day to day basis? That's where you start the kid off.
Maybe get a couple of sockets and switches and get them to connect them.
Take them apart and start again. Best if they have their own tools to start getting used to using them.

Things I have found over the last 25 years is all apprentices are different, you can get some you literally show them to do something once and they 'just get it' and can be left to it. Other need constant showing over and over and hand on help.
I did new builds as a 1st year which was great as there wasn't much to feck up, Spent the first few weeks on first fix drilling joists , pulling cables and cutting in boxes.

Hi Folks,

Recently took on a 1st year apprentice, who is currently brand new to any tool and a days work.

Now when I've worked for larger companies I've had apprentices with a few years experience in them, so I could just fine tune these kids.
So I wouldn't mind knowing what you did from day 1 with your apprentice.

Obviously we've had the normal chats about cleaning up, passing tools, cups of tea...but Id just like to know where you started with your apprentice and what did you first start showing him/her.

We currently have a contract where we go to restaurants and fit 3phase supply and extract fans linked off gas safety systems, so its a bit too in the deep end for him and I can see him understandably scratching his head.

I've got the college portal where I can log-in and see his progress, so thats pretty handy to keep in touch with what hes doing, but we all know it doesnt always translate to site.

It would be interesting to know your stories/advice.

Thanks all.
Theres your starter for 10; Get him to understand BS6173 (depending how long you've got this type of work for); Not the whole thing but the the why we fit it, how it works and so on. Give him a foundation to understand what you're doing so that he can build on it, preempt your next step.

If you want to get some 7671 into him then get him to know the parts (1-8), the purpose of each and how they help the electrician. Failing that; Chapter 13; everything else flows off of that.

Reply to What to do with 1st Year Apprentice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net