Discuss Adult apprentice wages in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't know what it is here. I would think you'd have to stand and barter, dependant on your experience.
Thinking about it, why should an adult earn more than a normal apprentice, if they're of the same standard?

I feel like there should be some exemption or credits given I have already spent 20 years in the industry doing commercial data and audio-visual. Already have a good understanding of a lot of it. Wouldnt be like I'm coming in green or fresh outta high school.

I feel like there should be some exemption or credits given I have already spent 20 years in the industry doing commercial data and audio-visual. Already have a good understanding of a lot of it. Wouldnt be like I'm coming in green or fresh outta high school.

Can't comment on Australia, but the UK has a route to qualifications specifically for experienced workers. Not sure if experience in a niche field would count.

That would be up to the individual employer to decide once they know your experience and ability.

I don't know what is normal in Australia but in the UK there is a tendency for data installers to be work to quite a low standard and electricians wouldn't necessarily see experience in that field as a good thing.

20 years of data experience will get you nowhere on the path to a Cert III Electrician qualification. There is one unit in third year TAFE regarding communications cabling, nothing else that I can think of will get you RPL credit based on data and AV experience, and that's assuming you have certifications and not just experience to prove competency.

Pay wise, you're looking at low-20s as a starting hourly rate as a mature age 1st year on the base award. Getting in with a good unionised training mob will probably see that rise quickly. Trades may be a good long term pathway for earning, but you won't be raking in the cash off the bat.

I also wouldn't splash around your other thread to potential employers either. There's nothing someone looking to employ an apprentice likes more than proof they're already engaging in unlicensed work. You state you've spent your career around sparks, so I'm sure you're intimately familiar with our attitude to anyone looking for a short-cut around the training we all had to go through.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 years of data experience will get you nowhere on the path to a Cert III Electrician qualification.
Pay wise, you're looking at low-20s as a starting hourly rate as a mature age 1st year on the base award.
Low 20's sounds fair.....22 is about 12 quid in proper dosh, I think...😉

Reply to Adult apprentice wages in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net