Discuss Fairy light extension? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cornealia

DIY
Reaction score
is it possible to chop the end of a set of fairy lights and attach another set to the end? i have a length of pink fairy lights in my room that are attached to a switch but they dont go all the way round the room, and i have a second set, could i chop the end off and attach the two together? and if so, how?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they mains or battery lights?

In both case though I have to agree with @freddo that it seems like a bad idea. For mains using an extension lead tucked away for the 2nd set would be much safer and simpler to do.

join = disaster.
pink =double disaster.

???

Well "it depends"
The first issue is whether the power supply is suitable - both sets would need to be the same voltage and type (either both AC or both DC), and the power supply would need to be rated to run both.
The next issue is that if you look at most low voltage sets these days one side of the supply does not go to the end. Typically there's a number of LEDs in series to make a small set, then multiple sets are wired in parallel. You'll see this as 2 wires going as far as the first light, then 3 wires for the next few lights, then back to 2 wires for one gap, and so on. Some sets have 3 wires from the controller box to the first light, then as many as 5 wires within the string.
So you need to tap into the right wire at the end LED, and run an extra core back to where you can pick up the other side. This won't be easy to do neatly.

If their just standard, non flash type lights, and LED, then it might be possible... but normally the power supplies to these things are sized to power only a certain number of LED lamps.

Is there a label wrapped round the cable somewhere? That will tell you sizes

simple answer is buy a bigger set., or a similar one and run from tother side of room.

Well "it depends"
The first issue is whether the power supply is suitable - both sets would need to be the same voltage and type (either both AC or both DC), and the power supply would need to be rated to run both.
The next issue is that if you look at most low voltage sets these days one side of the supply does not go to the end. Typically there's a number of LEDs in series to make a small set, then multiple sets are wired in parallel. You'll see this as 2 wires going as far as the first light, then 3 wires for the next few lights, then back to 2 wires for one gap, and so on. Some sets have 3 wires from the controller box to the first light, then as many as 5 wires within the string.
So you need to tap into the right wire at the end LED, and run an extra core back to where you can pick up the other side. This won't be easy to do neatly.

the lights are exactly the same, they have two strands of wire going all the way from the socket to the end. this is them

Attachments

• fairly lights 2.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 14
  • fairy lignts 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 14
simple answer is buy a bigger set., or a similar one and run from tother side of room.
i love these lights and every time they break i find the same ones again from ebay (even though they are like 15 years old i still manage to find the same ones on ebay every time mine die) i could have one plugged in somehwere else, but i want to be able to tun all of them on by flicking the switch by my bed

i love these lights and every time they break i find the same ones again from ebay (even though they are like 15 years old i still manage to find the same ones on ebay every time mine die) i could have one plugged in somehwere else, but i want to be able to tun all of them on by flicking the switch by my bed
You can get an extension lead blocks with switched outlets that could in turn power both sets of lights so you have the switches next to you. Something like this:

For that sort of load having two extension leads chained together is not a problem for power, just make sure the cable is safe from trip hazard or from being crushed by doors opening, etc.

the lights are exactly the same, they have two strands of wire going all the way from the socket to the end. this is them
I can't see in those photos how they're wired. I'm thinking it's likely that one wire goes from lamp to lamp - and the other goes straight to the other end withput going throught any intermediate lamps. That's the normal way of wiring when they are mains voltage - with (say) 20 lamps, that's 12V per lamp to work off 240V.
If that's how they're wired, you'd need to add a third wire all the way back to the first lamp.
This isn't an easy thing to do in a manner that's both safe and aesthetically acceptable. Don't take this the wrong way, but someone with the skills to do this safely shouldn't need to be asking. You'd be best heeding the advice you've been given and just use an extension lead.

Reply to Fairy light extension? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net