Discuss Filling long chases ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have got a floor to ceiling chase (3 inches wide) to fill tomorrow morning and normally I have some old bags of thistle bonding in the garage.
Just checked and I have none left.
Does anyone use a tub of ready mixed filler for wall chases and if so which one ?

If I need to fill a chase and it's rare, I tend to use gyproc easyfill or gyproc board adhesive, it's not ready mix but comes in small bags of 5kg I think.
It is good stuff, easy to work, nice finish and available in 30, 60 or 120min drying time!
Sy

Ready mixed fillers tend to cure by drying out, and usually shrink as a result. Not very good for deep fills such as chases. I believe the exception is the lightweight ones (one strike etc), but I don't rate these very highly either.

Better to use mix-yourself plasters, as they cure with water, and don't tend to shrink as much. Thistle bonding is best for low suction backgrounds (dense concrete blocks) (use 60 minute version for a quick cure), or Thistle Hardwall for high suction backgrounds (porous bricks, thermalites etc). Easifill is very good too, but expensive

I might go with hard wall adhesive as I need to put up a short section of coving as well as presumably the hard wall adhesive can be used to fill the chase and dab up the coving.

Normally I would tell the customer to get a plasterer in but its for an old friend and they want me to do it for them rather than having to get another trade in

I’m a fan of hardwall and normally use that, then a finishing plaster or easy fill on the top of it. I find it Easier to sand and paint afterwards that way.

Ready mixed fillers tend to cure by drying out, and usually shrink as a result. Not very good for deep fills such as chases. I believe the exception is the lightweight ones (one strike etc), but I don't rate these very highly either.
I usually fill deep stuff in 2 goes to avoid shrinking. Easyfill is great as it sands easily when dry to blend in the fill. Don't often use it for deep filling though. The local wholesalers stock one strike, it's awful stuff!

Hardwall plaster https://www.gyprock.com.au/products...al,can be waxed to create a decorative finish.

Mix to same consistency of bricklaying muck. Put in wall chase with trowl and scape off with a short length of 2x1 par or the edge of trowel..

Rub down with wooden block after 2 hours approx.

Then get chalking tool Forge Steel Taping Knife 10 - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/forge-steel-taping-knife-10-254mm/7427c

And bending the blade slightly push in Easyfill mixed to consistency of tile grout (more runny than dry) Gyproc Easifill 60 Filler 10kg - https://www.toolstation.com/gyproc-easifill-60-filler/p59920

If you want to show no sign of it being filled whatsoever, rub down with sandpaper (medium) when dry and hit it with easy fill again to filter out the edges.

Finally rub off the fine edges with Prep Sanding Block Fine / Medium - https://www.toolstation.com/prep-sanding-block/p84314 once dry.

I might go with hard wall adhesive as I need to put up a short section of coving as well as presumably the hard wall adhesive can be used to fill the chase and dab up the coving.

Normally I would tell the customer to get a plasterer in but its for an old friend and they want me to do it for them rather than having to get another trade in
I use decorators caulk to fit coving - a tip from my dad who was a decorator for many years. A wipe with a damp cloth will clear any excess once you've pushed it in to place. The flex in the caulk prevents any cracks that can appear over time. Longer lengths may need a few nails to hold the coving in place while the caulk dries.

For chases, I use one coat plaster.

None of you have mentioned priming the chase first?
I'm by no means an expert on plastering, but I believe it's generally unnecessary to PVA chases and the like before plastering, assuming you use the right plaster for the background.

PVA is, as I understand it, is usually used where there's no mechanical key (eg skimming over existing finished plaster) , or to overcome backgrounds with very high suction.

Not talking about PVA per-say, but even spraying the chase with a little water will help prevent excessive suction and pre-mature drying out of the filling material and cracking. Skimming over existing finished plaster needs keying not priming.

Normally before making good around a box , if the wall is dusty and bone dry. I will hoover out some of the dust and flick in some plain water using a small brush to moisten the wall just a tad before adding the filler

450mm is just the right height for pi$$ing on. saves water and the polar bears.

Reply to Filling long chases ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net