Discuss Finally found the long awaited 'Ultimate Toolbox' in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eskimo39

Well guys, after 5 long years of spending a small fortune on toolbags/boxes etc I think I have finally found my ideal box.

The Lift n Lok from here: LIFT-n-LOK Toolbox

I have tried all manner of boxes but hated the way everything (Including the more delicate tools like voltage testers etc) just sat in a big pile and it was normally the item at the bottom I always needed. I then tried bags and loved the Veto Propac range but the only problem with them is there was never really any room for 1st fix materials etc and I found myself putting more tools in it than I really ever used just to fill the pockets.

I then tried the Hybrid range of Toolbox with some type of organizer built in and first tried a Stanley one which I hated. It was as long as a small boat and really difficult to close/lock.

I then tried a Plano which at nearly ÂŁ60 I had high hopes for. However once it was delivered I found the quality to be very poor and again it was a bit fiddley to operate the drawer lock etc and the finish did not warrant the price tag!

Another member on here posted a picture of his Lift n Lok toolbox on here and after trying to resist (managed about 3 hours) I got one ordered. When it arrived I was a little bit worried as it resembled a very colorful coolbox, and I was a bit worried about how simple the locking mechanism seemed.
Anyway I have now been using it for about 3 weeks and absolutely love it. It comes with a reasonably sized compartment in the top which at the minute houses hammers, tape, padsaw, chisels etc (Basically tools which cannot really be damaged by banging around) and then has 3 drawer units down the front, each one varying in size.

The thing I really love about this is that the top drawer has much smaller compartments (which can be made larger by removing inserts) so are ideal for items which I don't normally use everyday but are still very handy to have a few on me when I visit a customer or site. I currently keep things like Wagos, Fuses, Spare Scutch Combs, Spare blades, washers, cable ties etc in there.
The second compartment has slightly larger compartments in there so is ideal for cable clips, screws, plugs etc and also has a large long front compartment which is now home to my voltage tester and plug tester (keeping them from getting damaged in the larger top compartment)
The bottom drawer has 3 large compartments so I am using this for screwdrivers, spanners, chalk line etc and it still has room for extra bits.

All in all the box is quite heavy when fully loaded but due to it's design is still easy enough to manouvre through doorways and tight spaces and the handle is really thick so causes no problems on the hand.

I am still using my Tanos organizers for large quantities of consumables but it was the convenience of having little quantities of items at hand without always having to go back to the van, the Tanos compartments are very large so not ideal for just a few of each item without mixing them all up. So many times I have been at a property away from the van and suddenly in need of a crimp which normally means a 15 minute hike back to the van but with this set up it is easy to keep a few of each in one of the drawers.

I was a little worried about getting stick off the lads on site as I am quite a large lad and carrying a large heavy coolbox to work everyday might have got some laughs but everybody seems to love it. A few of the guys are waiting for darker colors to come into stock to use as fishing boxes.

The locking method is how it gets its name and it is the most simple idea I have seen. When you have the handle down (It has 'Open' embossed on it) the lid and drawers unlock, however when you pick the handle up to carry it, the lid and drawers automatically lock. Simples!! Also when it is in the locked position it slightly raises the drawers meaning no gaps at the top so no matter how many times this thing rolls, each compartment holds it contents with no spillage.

Anyway, enough rambling just thought I would give my little review before I get another one ordered for my TV and Data stuff !!!

I will post a few pictures later.

Honestly Pennywise 4 weeks ago I would have been tempted but am made up with the Lift n Lok, just waiting for them to get a few different colors to use for different jobs. Already planning on getting a blue one for my solar gear. Plus at less than ÂŁ50 it is a bit easier on the pocket.

Lift n Lock looks great, is it sold at any of the majors locally?
To my knowledge it is only available from Facio, I think they have exclusive sales. I am not in any way attached to them but can honestly vouch for their excellent service. I think I paid around ÂŁ45 with free delivery.

Honestly Pennywise 4 weeks ago I would have been tempted but am made up with the Lift n Lok, just waiting for them to get a few different colors to use for different jobs. Already planning on getting a blue one for my solar gear. Plus at less than ÂŁ50 it is a bit easier on the pocket.
You say "Tempted" lol going by tools > bags ect iv seen you sell as surplus ect here Im sure you would have given into temptation
Bets your wife's glad your not a mechanic as you would have 4 or 5 of those massive rollabout SnapOn boxes all special editions filled with hunners n hunners o tools

To my knowledge it is only available from Facio, I think they have exclusive sales. I am not in any way attached to them but can honestly vouch for their excellent service. I think I paid around ÂŁ45 with free delivery.
Just ordered a lift n lock, lady very helpful on the phone, cant wait to try it out now :) thx for the 'heads up'

We need pics of this lift 'n' lok....with some tools in so I can get a proper idea of it.

It looks good but at ÂŁ45 it needs to be too.

Whoever recieves their's first, dont be shy.:sailor:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Finally found the long awaited 'Ultimate Toolbox' in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net