Discuss florescent light very dim in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a t8 florescent tube, which is lighting up, but very dim. I have changed the starter, checked the ballast which shows a reading on the multimeter, and the tube shows no sign of it dying (ie no blacking). Its not actually that old, maybe 4 years? ; (standard on/off switch no dimmer on cuircuit)

How can I verify what is wring please? Thank you

Is it in a cold area and does it remain dim or does it change as the tube gets warmer.
Thanks, In the kitchen so normal living area. It starts dim and stays dim, there is no obvious sign of variation. The change from normal to dim about a week ago was fairly sudden not gradual.

As tried differnt starters and tested the ballast resistance, my guess it may be the tube, but what surprises me is there is no "blacking"

Much appreciate yr help.

Tubes will dim with age and lose their brightness so it is likely to be the tube but you cannot rule out the ballast. Try a new tube.

Tubes will dim with age and lose their brightness so it is likely to be the tube but you cannot rule out the ballast. Try a new tube.
Thank you.

I agree, but 3 reasons why I ask: (i) only 4 years old, in my expereince they usually last longer. (ii) Its a good make - Philips. (iii) there are no physical signs which I would expect, no discolouration!

Thanks but I try not to be part of the through away society, I would prefer to seek advice in terms of the original question thank you.
I fully agree if the proposed replacement isn't sufficiently superior to the original, but in this case, as telectrix says, ditch the old inefficient tech. and replace with something twice as efficient.

Thanks but I try not to be part of the through away society, I would prefer to seek advice in terms of the original question thank you.
There is a point where you cut your losses and replace, years ago wholesalers stocked ballasts so it could be an off the shelf repair these days it is as cheap to buy an LED batten and replace the fitting than buy a ballast, lamp and starter and even then it could have a dodgy end cap or 2 that need replacing

There is a point where you cut your losses and replace, years ago wholesalers stocked ballasts so it could be an off the shelf repair these days it is as cheap to buy an LED batten and replace the fitting than buy a ballast, lamp and starter and even then it could have a dodgy end cap or 2 that need replacing

Thanks everyone for yr advice. Bit the bullit and replaced the tube - all okay = lerssons learned

Reply to florescent light very dim in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock