Discuss Fused spur tv connection how to disconnect in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hanz_7

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I've tried some intense googling on this subject but I think I have the terminology wrong and also don't understand it so can't get an answer.

Years ago an electrician installed a wall mounted TV for us and cut the plug off the TV connecting it into the wall I believe via a fused spur (?!)

We're moving house in a few months so a) I'll need to take the TV off the wall
B) I think I'll need a plug back on the TV

For b I'll get an electrician to do it but is this possible?

Idiot question how do I disconnect this magical no plug connection? The lead currently feed s
Through a hole in the wall behind the TV and to be honest I've never investigated it.

turn the power off (whole house main switch) , trace where the tv power cables run to and disconnect the 3 wires (internal conductors of the flex) from there.

a new plug should come with fitting instructions, buy one and put it on the end of the flex as per the instructions.

If any of this seems to be beyond your comfort level then get an electrician in to sort it.

just one side note, often tv's don't come with a fitted lead, if the tv power lead is not permanently connected to the tv, just unplug it and buy a replacement lead,

If it helps you to visualise, the back of the fused spur will likely look like this:

https://media.NoLinkingToThis/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/29670_A2&$prodImageMedium$

And the flex from the TV will have 3 connections to undo, which should be in the terminals marked LOAD, while the others ones will be the feed in and should be left - the plate can then be screwed back on and left.

As @James says - ensure that the circuit is dead beforehand - If it's obvious that may be one circuit breaker - if not turn everything off to be sure.

If that sounds daunting, see if you can get a local electrician to pop by at the end or start of a day - will take them a few minutes at most.

Last edited:
Thanks both that's really helpful and definitely beyond my skill set! I'll get an electrician to do it but good to understand what I'm dealing with

This is exactly why I don't like appliances wired direct into FCUs.

Reply to Fused spur tv connection how to disconnect in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net